x

If my Samsung Galaxy S3 works with the normal phone jack card reader, does the chip one work?

I looked to see if my device was covered and its not listed.  However i have been using my "normal" card reader and it hasn't given me any problems.  I ran a card with the chip the other day and was reminded that i need a chip reader.  This is fine and good but i want to know if it will work with my phone before ordering it?

If the normal reader works fine, will the chip reader work fine?  Or is it a different beast?

Need to know if i need to buy a new phone or not?

Thank you,

Zak

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

@vansig - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post! 👍

As for your question, you're 100% correct. The Samsung Galaxy J3 is not listed under our compatibility page. This means that we haven't had a chance to test our reader with this model yet. While I can't speak to the compatibility of this model specifically, our contactless and chip card reader will run on most Android devices with the following features:

• Android 4.4 or higher
  • Bluetooth (BLE)
  • GPS

It'd be great if you could test things out, and then let us know. If it doesn't work, of course we're happy to return the return - free of charge. Also, if you live close to an Apple Store, they do sell them. You could test it out on the spot, and then return it right away if it doesn't work (or walk away with a working reader).  Hope this helps a bit. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 4

I discovered that the J3 does work with the square reader, in case you were wondering.  I posted it elsewhere but thought it might be a good idea to put it in this thread as well.

Message 3 of 4
Square

@vansig - Thanks for sharing! That's great news. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 4