x

If my Square account is hacked and bank details are changed and money is successfully rerouted?

I am hoping someone will have the straight facts on the following: What happens if my square pos is hacked and someone changes my bank account infmormation to theirs and takes my payouts? Is Square insured for this? Will they accept any responsibility? I know that Shopify does not. With Shopify you are "responsible for keeping your password secure" and they take no responsibility if an account is hacked and banking details are changed to reroute money to a thief's account. Does anyone know where Square is on this? Section 18 on the terms of service does not look promising.

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @thepetal this is a good question. I went ahead and reached out to our Privacy Team about this and it really depends on how the breach occurs. 

This is directly from the Privacy Team: 

Regarding breaches generally, if the data that you have collected from your customers is breached, the responsibility for that breach depends on how it occurred. If the breach occurred on your system or device (for example, if you were the victim of a phishing attack and your Square account was accessed without your authorization, data was accessed without your permission from your computer or mobile device, or your account or device was otherwise compromised), you would be responsible to your customers. We cannot provide legal advice to you  on what your steps should be. You may want to consider consulting with an attorney or privacy expert should you have additional questions.

Additionally, our terms of service give guidance on what we do and do not provide in connection with your use of our products. Our terms of service can be reviewed here.

If Square's internal data systems were breached, Square may be responsible. In this case, Square would comply with all applicable data privacy laws, rules, and regulations in responding to and remediating the breach.

I hope this provides some clarity! When it comes to protecting your account I always recommend enabling 2-Step Verification. With this enabled a hacker would need your cell phone and your password to access your account.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Admin

@Daniel4 We don't have the ability to put you in touch with our team here in the Seller Community. You should be able to reach them here.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 22 of 24

Nobody has the ability because that so called link u sent me to is crap.  I’ve emailed people for 4 days and to call them is unavailable is un heard of.   Everyone will know how they are after all this and everyone else they screwed.  The stocks are going to be dropping.  And I’m not totally **bleep**ed because the situation or what happened.  I’m **bleep**ed because the customer service is so horrible.  Y’all don’t even have one!!  

Message 23 of 24

Did you get a resolution on this?

Message 24 of 24