x

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

I would like to see a feature on square.

I would like to sell downloadable digital files, where an automated email goes out with the file link right after check out.  I would be able to have one more way to have sales in my business.  I am a hypnotist and don't have a way to sell digital files through my website.  I don’t know how to sell digital files through square.  

286 Comments

I don't know why I put year 2020, I meant June 7th, 2022

If I send an email with a digital download, will the download expire, or would it be possible for the customer to share that link, which I DON'T want to be able to happen.

Super Seller

Hi @Neat2MeetArt,

I'm not sure on Square's timeframe, but no doubt they'll have it soon.

I thought I'd share a tip (how I would personally approach it as a workaround). 

Using something like Microsoft Power Automate (included in most Microsoft 365 business plans), you could setup an automation to do this for you.

For example the trigger could be the sales email coming into a folder in your mailbox (would ideally be Microsoft 365 email), could then trigger a new email to be created with the link pre-written into the body of the email, and send it for you.

M365 plans start at around $17AUD per month. Power Automate is fairly easy to use if you're confident with basic automation principles. You can pretty much Google any type of thing you're trying to do and there will be forums / videos of people showing how to do it.  

I am getting ready to launch digital products and I don't want to have to send an email for every customer that purchases the product, I noticed that for the events we get the option to add the link to the zoom call, can't we do the same thing with the digital products? thanks!

Square Community Moderator

I understand your frustration not having this feature available for digital products yet, @tblh. While we don't have an update to share here at the moment, we'll notify you via this thread as soon as we have news. 

I want to sell a digital Mp3 & Mp4 file of my conferences. When will Square make this possible? 

I would also like to put in my vote for automating this process....

I have templates made in CAD that I'd like to sell on my site. (.dwg and .pdf)

Having these files sent out to the purchaser in an automated manor immediately at purchase is ideal. 

I started using Square for its invoicing features and it did what I needed it to perfection. I am really happy with how I've been able to use it. I work as a freelance musician and recently have started exploring the option to sell sheet music and original tracks in addition to my freelance work. I was somewhat disappointed when I learned that Square Online doesn't support on-demand delivery for digital products. 

I am sure that I am not the first to bring attention to this issue and I am mostly curious if this feature is going to be coming to Square Online soon. This is one of the only issues I have with using Square and would love to be able to do all of my commerce in one tool. 

If it does get implemented, I hope that there will also be an option to preview the product (aside from just a picture) so that customers can have a better chance to view the quality of the product they're going to purchase.

I think this feature would go a long way in attracting many other people to use Square Online for their business needs. Square has so many tools that are helpful, but lacking the option for On-demand Digital Downloads is probably turning away a lot of users from an otherwise incredible service.

Beta Member

I am currently doing this with GMAIL. The problem is the generic reply; when selling a ticket you want to have a unique transaction number assigned to each purchase.

I noticed on the order confirmation email Square sends (in the example) has a section for downloads and says how you can only download 5 times (or something like that). I looked and couldn't figure out how to upload the file. Am I missing where to upload my digital files? Can someone walk me through how to do this?