x

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

I would like to see a feature on square.

I would like to sell downloadable digital files, where an automated email goes out with the file link right after check out.  I would be able to have one more way to have sales in my business.  I am a hypnotist and don't have a way to sell digital files through my website.  I don’t know how to sell digital files through square.  

286 Comments

I would really like to see this feature added as well. It's fairly standard on competing services. 

@annaempathy I agree! I feel like this should be high on their development road map. 

I encourage everyone here to comment on this forum post as well in the help section:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Instant-File-Download-Upon-Sale-Digital-Produc...

Adding my comment, this is really something I feel Square needs to add, automated processing of digital items.

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your vote here, @PG_Quilts!

We've noted your feedback and have forwarded this to our Product Team. Should we have further updates to share, we'll be sure to tag and comment on this thread.

I've been waiting on this "coming soon" feature since 2017. I too have been selling my digital download items on Etsy. I was told in 2017 that the instant download feature was in development. I really would appreciate a release date on this "coming soon" feature because I am tire of waiting and am about to bail and go to Shopify.

Hello Everyone, I'm wondering if the Digital option would be upgraded any day soon, I seen in the comments that this service has been solicited almost 3 years ago, times had change and most of the business owners are able to  offer digital products from their website. Would the automated digital service be available any time soon?  Doing it manually is so inconvenient. Also it would be nice to have a "keep shopping" button after a customer makes a purchase 🙂 I was looking for the option but couldn't find it.

Square Community Moderator

We don't have any updates to share at this time, @MBAZ 

We will make sure to update this thread as soon as we have more information to share! 😊

Super Seller

I am doing the same. I would like to take some of my business off Etsy to increase my margins - Etsy is taking like 12% right now. Have you explored Zapier and setting up the automation that way?

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!! There needs to be an UPDATE or ETA on this service. This is NOT a difficult feature to include, the fact that it hasn't been added or addressed in years shows that Square is either purposefully not providing this feature or deliberately ignoring their customers requests.

Also Square you could be sued for false advertising, you can not advertise as being state of the art in E-commerce without this feature, you can not advertise that you allow digital downloads when you DO NOT, you are allowing the sale of NOTHING, I have to MANUALLY send the item, square did nothing but process the payment and take their cut.

I cannot believe this company is lacking such a simple and REQUESTED feature. It is UNACCEPTABLE.

I will have to switch to another provider as I physically cannot manually send 1 million emails??? This is so disheartening as I have spent countless hours, monthly fees, and so much creative energy working with this company, how can you be failing your customers so badly with this??? This feature should take less than 12 hours of coding to include??? WHY isn't it included?? PLEASE provide an honest reasoning behind this!????

@BernadetteA please forward this message to all appropriate higher ups, IMMEDIATELY.

I completely agree. I signed up, manually set up thousands of products because the transfer from my old website provider didn’t work, spent thousands (at this point for POS equipment) in my storefront, and one of the reasons I made this investment was because Square told me I could sell digital files on the site. 

They never told me it was going to be manual. I really need this feature to send class links. It is really horrible that they didn’t tell me. It is horrible trying to make sure students who order live courses at the last minute get their links. 

At this point, my website, marketing, POS, inventory, and payroll are wrapped up in Square. At some point, I may have to look for a solution that is better. 

It’s sad because I heard Weebly used to do it, and they took the feature away and never brought it back.