x

Feature Request - Accept payments in USD or other currencies

Feature Request - Accept payments in USD or other currencies

Hi All, am wanting to charge clients in USD (with my Australian Square account is this possible?

31 Comments

I just sign up with Square I added it as a payment option on my website, however, I got my first payment Yesterday and it failed, now I am in Australia but the payment was in pound sterling is that why it failed do payments via Square have to be in Aus$? 

I just thought I would do a test sale with my card in $aus and that failed as well

Just tried another test on a part of the site that only takes $aus and it worked so it may be the fact I take multi currencies on the other part of the site.

My website is a woocommerce site I need to have multi-currency do you know of a way to get square to work?

Admin

Hey @pommytony,

Thanks for getting in touch!

At the moment the ability to charge your customers in different currencies is not available on Square accounts. All payments you accept will be processed in Australian dollars.

You can, however, process internationally issued cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard or American Express logo. Cardholders may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer since payments must be processed in Australian dollars. Learn more about accepting international cards.

While we can't discuss specific transaction data via our Seller Community, if you'd like a support agent to look into why one of the payments declined, please get in touch with our support team on 1800 760 137. Most of the time though, declines are on the card provider's end, so I recommend getting in touch with the card issuer to see why this may have declined!

Please let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Hi there! 

Just wondering if I can accept US and Canadian payments via invoice? My square is set up in Australia. I recall this being an issue a few years ago, but I wanted to double check. Also, can you change the currency to the desired country?

thank you for your help!

Admin

Hey @Jfpd,

Thanks for getting in touch.

At the moment the ability to charge your customers in different currencies with Square is not available. All payments you accept will be processed in Australian Dollars.

You can process internationally issued cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express logo, note that an international customer's card issuer will perform the currency conversion based on current exchange rates

Admin

Hi @iTravelTanzania,

Thanks for getting in touch.

At the moment Square unfortunately doesn't support charging in different currencies - Square Australian accounts will charge in AUD only.

If you have US customers they'll still be able to purchase from you, and their bank will do the currency conversation based on exchange rates at the time - similar to how if you've ever bought anything online form the US, your bank will convert the amount into an AUD value based on exchange rates.

Hi, I have an Australian Square account. I create manual Checkout links to match invoice amounts I create in Quickbooks. In Quickbooks I can create invoices in AUD or USD depending on the customer. 

I have a US customer, who has been quoted in USD. I would like to send them a Square checkout link in USD, but I'm unable to change currency. 

I have read that it's not possible to do so, so I'd need to create a US account, though I'm based in Aus. 

So - would you send the client a Square payment for the USD amount in AUD?

Eg $USD 4800 is $AUD 6,518.73. 

I can figure out a better workaround and I would like them to be able to pay via CC. 

Admin

Hey @andybanana,

Thanks for reaching out. I've moved your post to this thread where we're tracking this feature request.

At the moment Square accounts don't support multi-currency payments. So while you're able to sell goods to international buyers, your prices will remain in AUD and their card providers do a currency conversion based on current exchange rates.

If you want to base your AUD price on current exchange rates do be mindful that the potential exists for the transaction to appear as slightly higher or lower for the buyer, as we won't know what exact rate their bank will use at the point the transaction is processed. You should be able to get close though if you check rates right before placing the transaction.

Thanks for the info. 

It would be very helpful if this feature was available. I now find myself looking for an alternative gateway and don't want to use PayPal. ...