x
Square

Introducing Build your Contract with Square

Hi Community Friends!

Over the last few months I’ve been working closely with sellers who want to learn more about how to accept credit card payments while ensuring their business is protected. A key pain point for sellers when they make the decision to accept credit card payments is the threat or occurrence of a chargeback.  While we do everything we can to monitor your account for potential fraud, Square wants to do more to help you understand what you need to do in order to best protect your business from non-fraud disputes and ensure you get paid for the work you do.

One of the best ways to avoid misunderstandings or late payment is to have a contract in place with your customer, particularly for larger pieces of work where your customers have very specific preferences. You may be thinking that sounds like overkill -- and it probably is for certain types of businesses like coffee shops or restaurants. But for freelancers or business owners who work on a project basis or in wholesale, a contract is a key step you can take upfront that can help you through a difficult scenario down the road.

So, starting today, we’re excited to announce that you can now build your contract with Square!* To start, here are two contract templates that you can use to prepare a contract that fits your needs.

1. Service Based Contract Template
  2. Sale of Goods Contract Template

Here’s how it works:

1. Choose the template that best suits your business (sale of goods or provision of services)
  2. Download the template with the link above
  3. Follow the instructions to prepare the contract
  4. Save your contract and send it to your customer (remember to get a signature upon agreement!)

We know that there are plenty of businesses out there that may be looking for additional detail or different templates. Don’t worry, we’re just getting started. We would LOVE your feedback on what works for you and what you would like to see in the future.

Do any of you already have a contract service that you use for your business? What has been most helpful for you to manage and track all of your sales and customers? Feel free to comment below with any questions or feedback, thanks!

*Square is not a law firm, an attorney or a professional advisor in any industry. Square provides this template to individuals who choose to prepare their own contractual documents and does not constitute legal advice.

Message 1 of 60
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Love love love Square. Always thinking of better ways to help.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
Square

Hi Gayle!

Thanks for the comment, we are definitely still looking into the best way to integrate with an e-signature functionality. At the moment, are you currently using the templates available on our Support Article by chance, or are you using your own contracts? Understanding what our sellers currently use and/or would like to see is incredibly helpful as we build this out.

Message 22 of 60
Square

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the comments to date - we are looking to capture more of your formal feedback! If you have any ideas about what you'd like to see in a template or in an overall contract solution tool, please submit your feedback here!

Message 23 of 60

Hi - just completed the survey. I'm really curious if Square has a timeline for unrolling e-signable contracts. Is there a defined plan yet? This is one pinch point in my business that I'd rather fold into a platform I'm using already instead of adding another separate platform that I then need to integrate into my sales funnel.

Thanks!

Message 24 of 60
Square

Thanks Daniel! We appreciate the feedback. We hear you on the e-signature integration. This is something we are currently evaluating for our roadmap, but we are working through prioritization of feature requests. All this said, we do believe this is something that should be available for our sellers at some point, I just can't provide you with a definitive date quite yet!

Message 25 of 60
Square

Hi @danielp !

Thanks for the interest. We're in the midst of prioritizing our roadamp for building out the tool this year and looking to better understand our customer's needs. It would be extremely valuable for us to understand more about what you are looking for (and rather, what you are using an alternate platform for currently). Would you be willing to jump on a 10-15 minute call this week?

Message 26 of 60

Hey - sure, I could have a quick chat. do you have a scheduling link or number I can call?

Message 27 of 60
Square

Hi everyone,

We just posted a product update for Build your Contract. You can find our post here!

Message 28 of 60

Are there any plans to add online contract filling out for services bought in the online store?

Message 29 of 60
Square

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your question - there are no existing plans to add the functionality to online store at the moment, that said, we're currently looking to prioritize new feature requests and future iterations of the product by usage. Could you provide a little bit of insight into how you currently use Online Store and what you'd like to see from the product if it were to integrate at that level?

Thank you!

Message 30 of 60

Ok! Online and in my store, I take deposits that I need an agreement for with a checkbox or equivalent signature.

In my storefront, I use release forms for tattooing which require a copy or record of a picture ID, some basic information and reading material, a few checkboxes, and a digital signature. Is this too much?

Message 31 of 60
Square

Not too much! Thank you for the explanation, we're exploring different ways to integrate digital signatures within the flow pending different needs. So this is definitely helpful! 

Message 32 of 60

Looking forward to seeing your solutions for tattoo artists!

Message 33 of 60

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Will Square be able to offer online contract signing and management system like 17hats?" The author has been notified via email.

Will square offer an online business management system like 17hats or honeybook? I run a photography business and it would be easy to be able to set up my square account to manage my digital contracts, invoices (to exclude the deposit wording and change to non-refundable retainer fee) and possibly questionnaires all in one spot instead of going through different routes for each of the steps of the contract?

Message 34 of 60
Square

Thanks for the question - we are currently working on a more integrated solution for document management within our existing line of products. Right now we have a Beta product for contract templates, but we are in the middle of developing the roadmap to make this easier for sellers to use and would love feedback on what would be most helpful!

Do you currently use one of the businesses mentioned (17hats or Honeybook) in conjunction with Square today for your photography buisness?

Message 35 of 60

I have in the past used 17hats and did love it just wish there was a way to keep everything under one system. 

Message 36 of 60
Square

What did you like about 17hats and what would you change outside of bringing this service into Square's suite of products, if anything? Again, we're in the middle of developing a solution for Square so your feedback is valuable!

Message 37 of 60

For me is the fact that I can quote, send the contract, client pay the non-Refundable retainer fee and send my questionnaire all under one umbrella. Also managing my contractors as well. 

Message 38 of 60
Square

Thanks @Neacosta this is really helpful. We will keep you posted as we build this out for further feedback.

Message 39 of 60

Is there a way to get in on the beta testing of contracts? Thanks!

Message 40 of 60

I love that you are constantly working to improve Square! Having digital contracts, most importantly that allow digital signatures, would be amazing! I'm loving the new estimates, being able to convert estimates to invoices is a great feature. Being able to attach a digital contract to an invoice, or send separately, would be great. No one wants to print, scan, and save contracts! Being able to send and receive contracts on the go, from my phone, would be amazing! Joist (a contractor app) used to have the option to add a signature line on estimates and invoices, which we really liked. It wasn't as great as a contract, but still just adding a signature felt a little more secure. They did away with the feature during a recent overhaul (horrible changes, finally prompting my husband to move to Square with me!) but it would be a great option, while waiting for fully digital contracts.

Message 41 of 60
Square

We appreciate your enthusiasm in the product! We are currently working on developing the first iteration of our existing templates and would love to learn more about your use case. Would you have time to hop on a call next week so we can learn more about your business and help inform our development process?

Message 42 of 60