x

Invalid item SKU Error message

Hi we are having an error message of 'Invalid SKU item' from a retail item. And we do not know what's causing the problem. We have tried to put an Item id or SKU on it and still the issue exists. Hope to hear from somebody who's willing to help. Thanks in advance, 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @iselm17 and welcome to the Community,

Are you getting this error while trying to import your SKUs? 

This Support Center article has a section on SKU errors that should fix the issue if so.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 15

We are having the same problem.  Can’t figure it out.  

Message 3 of 15

My clients are trying to purchase and getting this message when trying to check out... we call the help line they said they had fixed the issue but it is still happening. 

Message 4 of 15

Hello! @MishBree 👋

Typically these errors are encounter with a particular item and when our support team says "it's fixed" it will mean that the particular item is no longer having the error. If customers have shared their issues I would suggest making a note of the item or items that triggered the error and contacting our Support team for them to address this issue for your.

JJ
Message 5 of 15

Having same issue. SKU Invalid error at check out. Have contacted Support.

Message 6 of 15

We are having the same issue - all items have SKU.  Please advise

Message 7 of 15

Hi @EmilyIHC - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your item SKUs. In order to best assist you with this issue, please reach out to our Support Team for further troubleshooting. They will be able to take a look at your item setup and can also report this issue to our Engineers for investigation if needed.

When you have a moment, please contact our Support Team hereThank you!

Violet
Message 8 of 15

Having the same issue but it's inconsistent when it happens and to what items (set as Memberships).  When I change the SKU and then do a refresh of the browser (F5 or CTRL-F5 on PC) before adding it back to the cart, it seems to work.  

But by then, the customers are frustrated ... 

Message 9 of 15

Did anyone figure out what this issue is? If Support figured it out, maybe they could post back here?

A number of our customers are experiencing the same problem. When they are at the point of submitting payment,  some people get an Invalid SKU error which means they cant pay. It seems to be not related to a specific item, I have cases of one customer able to purchase an item, but another getting Invalid SKU for the same item. I have reproduced the problem a couple of times doing a test, but it seems to be sporadic, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I wonder if somehow it is related to caching? If I get the Invalid SKU error, and then open a new browser in Guest mode and resubmit exactly the same order, I dont get the Invalid SKU error. 

Message 10 of 15

I am having the same problem. It has only happened to a couple customers and others have placed orders without the error. Both customers were trying to order the same product. We don't even have SKU numbers on any product so I know that is not the problem. I've sent a report to Support.

Message 11 of 15

Having this same issue. How do I resolve it?

Message 12 of 15

Support looked at our database and came back and said it was fixed, but we still experienced the problem afterwards. In the end we told customers to email their orders to us, which is really not a satisfactory outcome. I suspect it is something corrupt in our database of items, I tried deleting and recreating any items that the system complained about, but it really seemed like it was a random error, some people could order an item and others got 'Invalid SKU' for exactly the same order. Maybe it's client browser related? I'm kind of dreading the next fundraiser we run. I may try deleting the entire database and recreating all our items, but that is a lot of work. Might be looking at switching to another eCommerce solution because having 10% of your orders failing due to an error you cant identify or fix is not something we can live with. 

Message 13 of 15
Beta Member

I received this message and this is what caused it:

My item is available for shipping and pickup.  Shipping is done from our main location, and pickup is from a satellite location.

This SKU was correctly itentified as being available from both the main location and satellite location in Square Online

This SKU was only selected as available from main location on SQUAREUP 

The item defaulted to shipping (customer was not given a choice) and the customer changed that to pickup after adding to cart

Once credit card info was entered and button was pressed, the error Invalid Item SKU came up and order did not process

I'm in the US btw and could not find anything on US message boards about this error.

Message 14 of 15
Beta Member

I corrected this by changing the item in SQUAREUP to be available from both locations

Message 15 of 15