x

Is Square Terminal truly stand alone?

I am looking at the new square terminal but information on it seems to be very lacking. My current readers require a bluetooth connection to my phone to work. Is this the case with the Square terminal or is it a truly stand alone system that I can use anywhere without having to connect it to a phone or pc?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

👋 @Nohope587 Helen here from the Community team.

Just to clarify the new Square Terminal does not have its own cellular connection. You can connect it to a wifi network, or to a hotspot network from a phone.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you're looking for for your business. I'm glad to hear the Contactless Reader works for you in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Nohope587

The new square Terminal is a stand-alone device, no phone or secondary device needed! Just needs a WiFi connection!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 7

Thanks but wifi to what? I run a small business in remote locations and I want a POS system that is completely independant i.e has its own cellular connection. If I have to tether the Square terminal to my phone via wifi to be able to process payments then its no improvement over the current stand alone chip reader at least for me. 

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Best Answer

👋 @Nohope587 Helen here from the Community team.

Just to clarify the new Square Terminal does not have its own cellular connection. You can connect it to a wifi network, or to a hotspot network from a phone.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you're looking for for your business. I'm glad to hear the Contactless Reader works for you in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 7

Will it work with any cellphone carrier hotspot? Or just certain carriers? 

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @CSELECLLC!

It works with hotspot or WiFi. It just needs some sort of internet connection to function properly and to take the Interac chipped cards.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

The advantage to you might be more along the lines of it having a larger screen and a receipt printer as well as the tap and chip reader over the phone strip only reader.  The tap and chip are more secure and may result in less chargebacks.  Also the fee is a bit less though not enough alone to sway a lot of people.

Message 7 of 7