x

Is Square available in New Zealand

I read an article that advised Square was able to accept Credit Card processing in New Zealand. Now that I have signed up, the website is saying this is not the case. Which is correct ?

If Not, when will Square processing be available ?

Also, will Square be able to process EftPos payments ?

Message 1 of 45
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Square is not currently available in New Zealand.  Square operates in US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom.

as for EFTPOS payments, they aren't currently available in Australia but they hope to have it sometime but there is no timeline.  https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5665-can-i-accept-eftpos-cards

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Super Seller

Best Answer

Square is not currently available in New Zealand.  Square operates in US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom.

as for EFTPOS payments, they aren't currently available in Australia but they hope to have it sometime but there is no timeline.  https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5665-can-i-accept-eftpos-cards

Message 2 of 45

I have used square up in Australia (not much as cash IS king LOL🤣 ) but now I’ve moved my business to New Zealand and like many others I want to continue using SQUARE UP as it is the BEST option for mobile businesses. If it can be done in Australia it can be done in NZ

Message 3 of 45

Any plans for bringing square to New Zealand in 2020? Would love to use the product for my business! Thanks

Message 4 of 45
Admin

Hey @GBullen,

Still no plans at the moment unfortunately - if that changes I'll be sure to alert everyone who's inquired in this thread!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 45

Its 2021, how about now?

Message 6 of 45

I used Square all the time in Canada for art shows and it was fantastic.  Now I am in NZ and want it here!

Message 7 of 45

Can you please hurry it is 2021 turning into 2022 and still no nz square 
PLEASE FIX THIS

Message 8 of 45

I see this question was answered in 2018, but how about 2021.

Is square yet available in New Zealand?

If not is there a launch date planned?

Message 9 of 45
Admin

@ss_popup we currently have no plans to launch payment services in New Zealand unfortunately.

Sorry I can't be of more help here! If we do eventually launch in NZ one day I'll update this thread.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 45

Thanks for the update Seamus. Very frustrating but what can we do... I hope this is something square can address sooner than later as it would benefit a lot of people!

Message 11 of 45

Agree, it would benefit thousands of people and now it's 2024! Come-on Square .... please?

Message 12 of 45
Admin

Hi @KJ-DC, thank you for your post.

I haven't heard anything about Square launching in New Zealand in the near future, but I'll let you know if that changes. 

We track demands for Square's availability as a card processor in other countries, so I'll make sure to pass your feedback on to our team.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 45

I see that Square is available if you couple with Xero but this makes it expensive.  I used Square in Australia and would also like to use it here in NZ.  Has anyone used Square on its own without the Xero link?

Message 14 of 45
Admin

Hey @Still,

Thanks for getting in touch!

At the moment Square is not available in NZ for card processing, whether or not you have a Xero account linked to your Square account.

You can use Square as a free Point of Sale app in NZ to track sales and run your business - the Xero link will allow you to feed transaction data recorded on Square's POS into Xero for record keeping purposes, however it won't allow you to process card payments.

Square is currently available for card processing in the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia and the UK. I'm happy to pass on your feedback to our product team though, as we do track demand for Square as a card processor in other countries.

All the best!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 15 of 45

I'm another NZer who has used Square in Canada and now wish I coulkd use it now that i have relocated back home to NZ! What are the chances anytime soon? Thanks Kirsty

Message 16 of 45
Admin

Hey @kirstymorison,

Thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately we have no current plans to expand into NZ for card processing.

That said, we'd ultimately love to be available as a payment processor to as many people as possible, so while it's not in our short term plans, we're not going to rule it out as a possibility in the future.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 17 of 45

Cant beilve its not available in NZ yet! Why on earth not?

I've been using it in my business in Aus for3 years but moving back to NZ (with my business) so that really is disappointing...

Message 18 of 45
Admin

Hey @MERKABANZ,

Thanks for reaching out!

We've got nothing new to announce in regards to Square being available in NZ as a payment processor unfortunately. As usual, we're tracking all feedback though!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 19 of 45

Square is desperately needed in New Zealand!  🙂

Please make it happen!

Message 20 of 45

I can't get xero to integrate with square in new zealand

Receiving the error when get started is selected from square

Oops... We've lost you
You've somehow ended up in the middle of nowhere.
Head home or search below.

The URL shows

https://www.xero.com/nz/square/signup/?xtid=x30squareseamless&utm_source=square&utm_medium=dashboard...

If .com/nz is changed to AU a square page comes up

The question is although we are stuck using a crappy nz eftpos machine can we still process sales & track via square with xero integration?

Message 21 of 45