x

Is it possible to bulk edit item type?

Good Evening,

I am setting up square for online ordering as a restaurant.  Uploading csv of our menu went simple enough but all item types defaulted to physical item rather than food and beverage.  Is there a way to set the default item type when you upload items?  Or is it possible to change the type in bulk?  There seems to be no way to do this that I have found.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JonHam! Welcome to the Seller Community!! Right now, the only way to make a bulk edit is through import/export of your CSV like you explained.

When you say everything imported as a physical item, are you meaning the category? 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 13

Hey @AshleyK , When I say everything is imported as a physical item I am talking about the item type.  When I go to the square.online item library each item is a physical item and I have to go in and edit each item one by one.  This Item Library also has different field options than the item library found on the square dashboard.  So it is a little confusing and tedious for me at this time.

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Got it. I would suggest exporting your item library, adjusting the item type column, then reimporting your item library to replace your current one. Instructions can be found here.

Once you've done that, take a look here to see how those adjustments will sync over to Square Online. 

Feel free to give us a call if you're unsure about this @JonHam.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 13
Beta Member

Hello - I've run across the same situation.

All of my items (site items for the website) show as physical in "Item Type".  I need to change them all to "Prepared food and beverage".  However, when I export the items I do NOT see a column called "Item Type".  

Are we expected to change each one of these by hand?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 13

Hi @BistroSupport 👋

You seem to running into a different issue. Can you please confirm the site name so we can check some settings on the backend? 

Message 6 of 13
Beta Member

thanks for looking into this.

thebistro2.square.site

...and to add more clarity, if were editing the "site items > items" we have a mix of "types" and I see no way to bulk edit these (see screen shot)

Capture2.JPG

Message 7 of 13

Thanks! @BistroSupport 

We have a new setting that will allow you to change the default item type. This is found under Settings > Item Preferences > Default Item Type

This will go into effect for newly imported items, but still getting confirmation if it is possible to apply the setting to items already listed in the dashboard. 

Message 8 of 13
Beta Member

Thanks for this info/update.  It appears that "Prepared food" is already set for us.  Not sure if I did this somewhere along the way.

As for editing all the existing, the best solution (aka a feature request) would be to add the ability to change them all via "Bulk Edit" in the top right corner. 🙂

Message 9 of 13

Yes, you are correct @BistroSupport 

Bulk editing existing items is currently a feature request. I have passed your feedback along to the teams, and will post any updates I hear of. 

Thanks!

Message 10 of 13

The Items in my Item Library all had their "Item Type" changed in non-sensical ways (wine list items to Event, for example). How can I change this in bulk? Whatever happened here is very, very poor. My guess is some BS AI on the back end. Geniuses.

Message 11 of 13

Hey there @NV_Rue_Cler 

I am sorry to hear about this experience. At this time, bulk editing the Item Type isn't possible.

We’d love it if you'd submit this request on our Ideate page for Square Online. Our team monitors these boards and we triage them to measure needs. You can search the boards to see if this has been requested before and add your use case if so!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 13

Mine to! I hope you people at square are going to fix this... Other wise I've got to change 800 plus items individually from food and beverages to physical.  I'm not happy!

Message 13 of 13