x

Is the Pixel C compatible with Square?

Unfortunately, the list of supported devices is incomplete.  For instance, the Pixel C, a Google Tablet, works well with the Square App for both types of readers, but is not on the list of supported Android devices.  The device apparently does not have GPS, but does have location services enabled by WiFi.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Well, yes, I am referring to a services profession rather than a sales business, so barcode scanners are not usually a part of the former.  That may bring up a bit of an identity crisis for vendors like Square, which try to cater to both, and there is no separate list of which devices may be sales appropriate and which for services, so that may help explain the exceptionally short list of supported devices.   

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Is it true that the Pixel C is compatible with Square supported hardwares (not just the reader, but also printers, barcode scanners and cash drawers)? I want to make sure because from what I have read, the Square app requires USB OTG, but the Pixel C does not support OTG (I've read that the USB Type C connection of the Pixel C makes OTG unnecessary, so Google does not include OTG support in the tablet).

Message 2 of 4
Square

I'm glad to hear the Pixel C is working, @Raja! There are thousands of Android devices, so our compatibility list will include ones that we can guarantee to be supported. That is to say, there will be plenty of devices out there that will still work just fine, we just haven't verified them ourselves.  

@toyssamurai, that is correct that the device will need to support USB OTG or USB Host mode for us to guarantee hardware compatibility. 

Message 3 of 4

Best Answer

Well, yes, I am referring to a services profession rather than a sales business, so barcode scanners are not usually a part of the former.  That may bring up a bit of an identity crisis for vendors like Square, which try to cater to both, and there is no separate list of which devices may be sales appropriate and which for services, so that may help explain the exceptionally short list of supported devices.   

Message 4 of 4