x

How can I pay commission based employees?

My employees will not be hourly- they are commission based. How do I do that in the payroll part of the scheduling app?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 111
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

I wanted to drop in with an update about commissions for everyone here! 💰

We introduced Commission Tracking here back in October, but we recently added some great improvements 

You now have the ability to set up tiered commission rates based on team members' sales, set override rules for specific team members. We'll provide step-by-step screens to help you change your commission settings. To get started setting up your new rules, login to your Dashboard, and navigate to Team > Commission. You can learn more about Commission Structure Tiers here, and how to set up Commission Rates here.

Commission Tracking is currently available to Square Appointments, Team Plus, Payroll, Retail Plus, and Restaurant users. When you use Square Payroll, you can use Commission Tracking to have your team member's commissions imported into your payroll run and paid out on their paycheck. 

Note: Commission tracking is currently only available from your online Square Dashboard.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 73 of 111
110 REPLIES 110

This comment was created by merging the thread "Comission Based Pay, Not Hourly or Salary" 

Hello!

I run a small brokerage and my agents only get paid on commission alone. how do we pick tha option because all I see is Hourly, or Salary settings. Thank you in advance!

Message 64 of 111

Hello @sergioconvers! I went ahead and merged your thread with this existing one. This helps keep the community organized and easy to search for members. 🙂

I recommend checking out Sean's answer on the first page of this thread! You can pay an employees commission using the Additional column and leave their hours blank. 

Message 65 of 111

Great! Thank you for getting back to me. That should work just fine.

Message 66 of 111

We definitely need a way to track commission with square....I love my square and use it for two different businesses, but since opening a spa I run into the issue of tracking commission and tracking if multiple services are paid for together they cannot be set under different service providers. Hopefully we get something to fix this.

Message 67 of 111

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Sales Team and Commissions

I can't find any way to track and pay a straight 10% - 20% commission to an independent sales team wanting to sell our products. What am I missing. This should be easy.

Message 68 of 111
Admin

@artsdrive You can use Square Payroll to pay commission-based tean members. Alternatively you could use Employee Management and Open tickets to track sales an commission. I think the first option is probably more appropriate for you but check them out! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 69 of 111

is there a way to pay your employee commission based automatically instead of having to go in and entering it manually. Its just a hassle to find out the net income and then to find out the tip and having to add and do all the math and then putting the amount on the payroll. it would be nice if we can just be able to have the system calculate it for us, and then add the tip on it separately. 

Message 70 of 111
Alumni

Hi @JeautyAesthetic - as a former manager myself, I totally understand how automatic commission calculations would be a huge timesaver for businesses needing to pay their employees on commission. Sounds like you are already correctly adding their commission amount to the “Additional” column in "Run Payroll" tab of the Payroll section of your Square Dashboard.

We will let you know as soon as this feature is available - keep an eye on the Product Updates section of the Community 🙂

Valentina
Message 71 of 111
Beta Member

This feature should definitely be prioritized it's would help a great deal just to have this done in the click of a button especially for larger commission based businesses. Let's put in the good word

Message 72 of 111
Alumni

Best Answer

I wanted to drop in with an update about commissions for everyone here! 💰

We introduced Commission Tracking here back in October, but we recently added some great improvements 

You now have the ability to set up tiered commission rates based on team members' sales, set override rules for specific team members. We'll provide step-by-step screens to help you change your commission settings. To get started setting up your new rules, login to your Dashboard, and navigate to Team > Commission. You can learn more about Commission Structure Tiers here, and how to set up Commission Rates here.

Commission Tracking is currently available to Square Appointments, Team Plus, Payroll, Retail Plus, and Restaurant users. When you use Square Payroll, you can use Commission Tracking to have your team member's commissions imported into your payroll run and paid out on their paycheck. 

Note: Commission tracking is currently only available from your online Square Dashboard.

Valentina
Message 73 of 111

Hello Valentina, I was doing some research and my contractors are commission based, but when products are being sold they are not part of commission.  I seen in an article that there is a way to exclude items from being commission based but it was unclear on how to do this.

Message 74 of 111
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CBarron831 - Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Square Seller Community! 👋😊

We'd definitely like to get you in touch with our Payroll Support Team to determine the best setup for your business needs. When you have a moment, please get in touch directly with our Support Team directly via this contact form.

Violet
Message 75 of 111
Alumni

Tracking commissions related to invoices is still a feature request at this time, @jmichael.

We've moved your post over to a thread where others are looking for this capability.
If we have news to share about this, we'll be sure to post an update here and you'll be notified!

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 76 of 111
Beta Member

Hi, when I try to setup a commission structure and save I just get a generic error of, We're Sorry, but something went wrong. How do I resolve this?

Message 77 of 111

Thanks for reaching back out @DesertShop, and sorry to hear you're having trouble saving your commission structure. Can you let us know which browser you're using? 

Message 78 of 111
Beta Member

Hi - Two Questions! 

Does commission tracking come with retail plus? (So I won't need to purchase teams plus?)

Can I attribute a sale to an employee after a transaction has been completed? 

Rachel 

Message 79 of 111

Hi @Rachelcamp

Great questions! 😊

Yes, Commission Tracking is available for Retail Plus. It is also available with Square Appointments, Team Plus, Payroll, and Restaurant sellers.

For your second question; After a transaction is completed, you cannot edit it whatsoever, which means you cannot adjust the employee who processed the transaction or assign it to an employee. 

Message 80 of 111

How come you can’t separate service com reports and retail com reports? It all goes into gross/net sales 

Message 81 of 111

This is a feature request at this time @Linz1770. I will make sure to pass it over to our product team for their visibility and consideration. 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 82 of 111

In addition to hourly wages, I need to pay employees commission for sales. How do I do this?

Message 83 of 111
Alumni

Hey @PKGC - @Sean's best answer on this thread might help! 

Justin
Message 84 of 111