x

Is there a way to capture how a customer heard about your business ( brick and mortar) ?

The employee would ask the question "How did you hear about us?" ..then before or after the transaction, there will be 3 or 4 answers they can select.  "Internet"   "Referral"    "Walk-in"....etc....

I think this data would be vital for a marketing budget.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hello @cmoney, great question! 

You can use Square's Customer directory feature to record different types of referrals before a sale! 

First, you'll need to configure your Customer Directory profiles. To do this, sign in to your online Dashboard:

1. Go to the Customers section of your Dashboard.
  2. Click Settings > then click Configure Profiles.
  3. Click Create Custom Field, or click Edit to edit an existing field.
  4. Use the three lines to drag the fields up/down.

You have a couple of options for the fields. When you create a new field you can set the Field Type to Text Input. This means your employees would see a blank box. Or you can choose Selection and enter the different referral types for each choice > click Save.

Then, you've set up your profiles, the next time your employees create a customer from your Point of Sale they will see How did you hear about us? and then can choose one. 

And last but not least you can use your Customer Directory to check how people are finding out about your business! From the Customers section of your online Dashboard click the + icon in the top right > select your referral profile > click Export to view the results. 

I hope this helps! If you have any questions please let me know. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply .... I'll give it a try. My only concern is that it appears to be contingent on the customer wanting to give additional information email...name...phone number ...I would like to have the option for it to be a quick noncommital question/answer. But I'll test it out. Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Yep, I know what you mean! Maybe you could try collecting just the customer's first name? Let us know what you think after you try it out! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 6

I’ve been looking into something like this. I need to track whether the customer is “returning” or new from “google” “facebook” etc. With this info you can monitor your investment on certain lead generation platforms. It looks like entering this info in the customer directory may work however this is all info that should be entered when creating an appointment and adding a new customer. Currently through appointments you can only input basic info.

Any idea how I can add a custom field in the appointment info to track where the customer came from?

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @watskyle

Good question! This would be a feature request right now. 

There is a small workaround you can try in the meantime. You can add a Custom Field in the Customer section of you Dashboard. After you create the appointment, that information can be added. 

Since this is a Feature Request, I would recommend heading over to our Ideate Board to post for our Product Team. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6