x

Is there a way to delete multiple items that have sold?

I am needing to delete 100s of items that have sold from my inventory. Please tell me square has an option to delete all at once?

Message 1 of 9
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to delete multiple items that have sold?

It's possible to bulk delete items from your Item Library within the online editor, @Britany!

To get started, head to the online overview page of your Dashboard > Items > Item Library. Since you mention having 100s of items you want to delete, I recommend immediately scrolling to the bottom of the page and toggling your view from 25 items per page to 100 or 200 items per page:

Next, select the items you want to delete. When you select these items, you'll see a Bulk edit button appear in the top right-hand corner of your screen. Click this to view your options, and select Delete:

You'll get this pop-up after selecting Delete, as any items deleted here will also be delete from your Item Library:

Once you check the box and hit Delete, the bulk edit will begin. Keep in mind that it will take a moment for the bulk deletion to occur, as multiple items are being deleted from both your Square Online Item Library, and the Item Library housed within your Square Dashboard.

In regards to bulk deleting items from your Item Library in your Square Dashboard instead of the online overview page, that would be considered a feature request at this time. @Kelly provided the steps you can take to delete multiple items from there within her Best Answer in this thread.

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

It's possible to bulk delete items from your Item Library within the online editor, @Britany!

To get started, head to the online overview page of your Dashboard > Items > Item Library. Since you mention having 100s of items you want to delete, I recommend immediately scrolling to the bottom of the page and toggling your view from 25 items per page to 100 or 200 items per page:

Next, select the items you want to delete. When you select these items, you'll see a Bulk edit button appear in the top right-hand corner of your screen. Click this to view your options, and select Delete:

You'll get this pop-up after selecting Delete, as any items deleted here will also be delete from your Item Library:

Once you check the box and hit Delete, the bulk edit will begin. Keep in mind that it will take a moment for the bulk deletion to occur, as multiple items are being deleted from both your Square Online Item Library, and the Item Library housed within your Square Dashboard.

In regards to bulk deleting items from your Item Library in your Square Dashboard instead of the online overview page, that would be considered a feature request at this time. @Kelly provided the steps you can take to delete multiple items from there within her Best Answer in this thread.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni

Best Answer

Valentina
Message 2 of 9

Hi! I am also trying to delete multiple items at once, but when I go from Dashboard to Items > Item Library, my library doesn't have radio boxes or the ability to choose number of items visible (it's endless scroll of item library). Am I in a different item library page somehow? We use square for retail. Surely there's a way to bulk delete items instead of clicking into each item!

item lib.jpeg

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for reaching out about this. You can perform bulk actions for items in the online store, but you cannot bulk delete items in either the online store or the Square dashboard from that screen. The best way to do this will be to export your item library from the Square Dashboard (the one in your screenshot), delete the items you want removed from your inventory, and then modifying the item library.

AshleyK
Message 4 of 9

Can you elaborate a little more? I should also mention that I do not have Microsoft subscription, so I am unable to do anything with the library once I export it. 

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

What kind of spreadsheet software does your computer use? Google Sheets (Chromebook or Pixelbook), Numbers (Macbook)?

Whatever software the your computer uses to export the Item Library, use that to edit the spreadsheet. Then re-upload the modified sheet into Square Dashboard using the Modify option (not the Replace option). 

Here's how. @spmcquaig

Justin
Message 6 of 9

Wouldn't you want to use the Replace Option, not the Modify Option? 

Once you export the file, and you delete the items (lines) you no longer want in your inventory, when you upload it if you use Modify .. you will only make changes to the items that are left in the file you are uploading back into the cloud. Since there is no field to delete item in the spreadsheet, the items you are trying to delete won't be touched on the upload and will still be in the cloud. 

When you upload the spreadsheet and use the Replace option, it will delete you current inventory items in the cloud, and replace it with the contents of the spreadsheet you are uploading, thus the items you no longer want in the inventory you have already deleted from the spreadsheet so they won't be uploaded back into the cloud. 

Of course the only question being will reporting be affected by doing this - I don't believe it will be as I've changed categories after a sale and the original category still shows in reporting not the items new category so I would expect the same to be true but am not sure. 

Message 7 of 9
Beta Member

Please be aware that 'Replace Library' will cause you to lose all photos as well as the shipping weights, and similarly associated details in Square Online (anything that's not in the speadsheet), I did this by accident once and destroyed my 600+ item photographed and weighted website. It took months to even try to correct it.

Deleting lines in Excel or the .CSV does not remove items. 

Square, what do I do?!

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @aquamai - thanks for reaching out. 

Just to be clear, what specifically are you looking for advice on? Your post gave the impression that you dealt with an item library replacement issue in the past. Are you experiencing that issue still?

I will keep an eye out for your response.

Joe
Message 9 of 9