x

Is there a way to include zero-sales inventory items in the exported reports?

Super Seller

I've made a custom report, figured how to filter the results as I want, and I've now exported the report as a CSV file.  My goal is to copy/paste this into another spreadsheet so I can calculate commissions owing on certain products.  Unfortunately the report shows only the items sold - not the full list of items and variations - so if an item didn't sell during the report period there is no line in the export, and the 'paste' therefore doesn't line up when dropped into the other spreadsheet.

Any other suggestions would be helpful; it occurred to me that I could probably do a 'merge' of some kind in Office if I can wrap my brain around that process.

As a stretch goal it would be neat if inventory items could have 'expenses' as part of the item, such as commissions owing (for example on some products I collect $40 but I owe $20 to the client and keep $20 for myself).

0 Likes
7 Comments
Admin

Hmm @Michael_L, it sounds like you need to compare your custom report to your Item Library which you can export from the Items section of your Dashboard. (The Report section of your Dashboard will only have informaiton about completed sales.) 

I'm definitely not an Office/spreadsheet expert though! @pessosices and @ACAcatering can you take a look and offer your expertise here?

Super Seller

I definitely can merge the two spreadsheets, but it's a very manual process.

Perhaps my question is more of a feature request than just a "how to" answer - could you have one of the Sales Report options be to include the zero-sale items?  Intuitively I thought the "Item Sales" report would include the 'not sold' lines, but it could possibly be added as one of the "Filter By" options in the drop-down.  (Please?) 

Admin

Hey @Michael_L!

Stepping in here. I just want to make sure I understand this feature. 

Would the purpose of the 'zero-sales report' be to look at items you paid for (from a vendor) but did not sell?

Also, take a look at this article to see if any of the reporting that comes with Square for Retail would help you find what you're looking for. I look forward to your reply 🙂 

Super Seller

Hi @isabelle Isabel, not quite.

I have a product I sell which includes a portion for me and a portion as a commission.

My client pays $42.00 for grad photos (as a service, not an 'inventory' item).  This breaks down as:

- $20 for me

- $20 commission to their graduating class

- $2 GST Tax

The client isn't supposed to see the commission, they just know the photo session costs $40 plus tax - I don't want to enter the commission as a separate 'item' in Square or they'll see that breakdown on the receipt.

What I want to do is generate a report that shows me how much commission I owe to each grad class.  There are several dozen classes with different prices and commission amounts, and I haven't figured out how to do that using the tools in Square.

My idea was to generate a sales report from Square, copy those totals into a spreadsheet of my "items" from Square, and then do the math in the spreadsheet.  Unfortunately the Sales report doesn't line up with the Items report because of the missing unsold items, so I have to manually align the data.

Do you have other ideas for how to calculate a commission from my sales?  Or is it possible to include the unsold items in the sales report when it is exported?

Admin

Hey @Michael_L!

Thanks for your reply.

I understand what you're trying to do here. There isn't a way for you to be able to track the commission without your customer seeing it as either a line item, or a % of the purchase on the receipt. I'm sorry about this. You can definitely download one of these reports and work out of excel. 

Here's a list of Invoicing and Servicing apps that we integrate with. I hope this is helpful! 

Super Seller

Right; so back to the original question of the post.  Can I make a feature request to optionally include the zero-sales inventory items in the exported reports?

Admin

@Michael_L

Yes! I moved your post and comments to the Feature Requests: Invoices section of the Seller Community for Product Team visibility. This will allow other sellers who have had this request in the past to view your post, and contribute. 

Thanks!