x
Highlighted
Admin

💡Last Day for Entries: Submit Suggestions for our Small Business Hackathon!

Hi Seller Community,

We are hosting a hackathon for developers to build software applications that enable small businesses to adapt to the post-COVID world. In order to ensure that this competition produces solutions that help solve real challenges you’re experiencing, we need your help. There are two ways to participate.

Option One: Share a challenge prompt for participants to solve

If you're a Square Seller, please share the new challenges your business is experiencing. For example, here are some of the challenges that have come up over the last few months:

• For some shop owners, they have too much spring inventory that didn't sell and now have summer inventory coming in.
  • Some restaurants may require all guests to use in-app mobile ordering from dining restaurants to avoid extra interaction.

What new challenges are you facing? We want to hear more from you. Reply to this post below with your suggestions by June 10 and we'll make sure they're represented in this event.

Option Two: Participate in the Hackathon

If you're a developer and interested in participating, submit your entry by 5:00pm EDT June 22, 2020: The Square Small Business Hackathon.

Looking forward!

Tom
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 68
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: 💡Last Day for Entries: Submit Suggestions for our Small Business Hackathon!

Hello everyone! Wow—thank you for taking the time to share your suggestions and illustrate why these iterations are important for your business. I'm checking in to remind you that today, June 10th, is the last day to submit recommendations for the hackathon.

What's next? We'll compile your insights and make sure they're available to developers as they build their submissions.

Thanks again to all who weighed in. We'll circle back with a summary of the outcome after the event—keep in touch!

67 REPLIES 67
Highlighted
Admin

Re: 💡Submit Suggestions for the Square Small Business Hackathon!

Also tagging a handful of folks who have been active with API related threads in the Seller Community recently. Please take a look at the event above and consider participating in our upcoming hackathon!
@PreOrder_Apps 
@busaccagallery 
@superkev 
@anhmazingfood 
@LowGaze 
@wine20or 
@donutshoppe 
@WagBend 
@adia 
@veteranfnb 
@MikeOrlando02 
@CotillionGarden 
@jameswatkins 
@sdcole 
@werdemup 
@chrisdavetv 

Tom
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 68
Highlighted

I've begun to offer various gift packs on my small business Square/Weebly sites. When my store was closed to the public, I would simply build the custom gift packs on site and then deliver them. Something that has always frustrated me about Square is the inability to create gift packs of multiple items while still depleting inventory correctly. I know we now have options to create sales, i.e. buy two, get one free, but this only works in person and doesn't apply to online purchases.

I would love to see a feature where we can create gift packs, combos, etc, which auto-deplete the inventory of those specific parts and pieces, and to which we can assign a new price.

Message 3 of 68
Highlighted

I think I asked this before. I have a new venture and unable to use Square because it does not sync with Deskworks. They use a different supplier (I am using Stripe) I believe it has to do with the way customer data is stored. Anyway, I'd love to use Square as you all have treated me so great for 9 years now.

Thanks

Justin

Wag Bend Dog Daycare

Message 4 of 68
Highlighted

Small businesses cannot afford their own custom apps.  Square is a great solution for many small businesses.  I'd like to create an app to facilitate curb side pickup that would also include a contactless payment where the app would route the payment directly to the businesses square account and not to me as a middle-man.  My app would manage the pickup process and defer to Square for the payment.

Message 5 of 68
Highlighted

I am a retailer with over 300 SKUS. I need an app for ordering, notifications, better customer experience.  Most app square e-commerce partners say they are integrated with square but if they are, major limitations.  Need a way to sync all fields with square, especially name, photo, description, price, inventory quantity  and real time updates.  Ability to categorize and make available or hide square inventory (items) like the online store does.  This will dramatically increase square's fee based income and take advantage of the biggest trend in e-commerce - majority taking place via phones/an app that is NATIVE.  

This is my main need now.  

Message 6 of 68
Highlighted

Hello there!

I manage a bakeshop and we have many different orders coming through weebly for different days.  I would like to be able to search for orders by their pickup date.

For instance, search for "May 30, 2020", and see the three orders that are for pickup on that date.

I know that Square says that you can export the data as a csv file, so you can sort it however your heart desires.  Unfortunately when you export the data to excel or google sheets, not all the cells are filled for each row of.  So it makes very hard to sort a range by a certain column heading, because not all of the cells are filled with information.  This really only is an issue if you have multiply items in one order though. 

Anyways the easiest way to solve this dilemma is to expand the capabilities on the search bar for orders. 

Thanks for reading!

Amanda

Message 7 of 68
Highlighted
Beta Member

Yes PLEASE!! I've emailed in about this too. Just having the order section within my Square dashboard be sortable by pickup date would be a huge improvement!

Message 8 of 68
Highlighted

Re: 💡Submit Suggestions for our Small Business Hackathon!

we should be able to add different language options on the website's home page so that people who don't speak English can comfortably execute the buys on our platforms

Message 9 of 68
Highlighted

Re: 💡Submit Suggestions for our Small Business Hackathon!

Excited to see this! 

I manage a rental business and have been struggling to find a simple easy to use workflow to rent out gear. I would love if someone would modify the appointment tool to allow for 

- by day booking vs hour

- select a shipping option vs a location

- expedite checkout for rentals including delivery/ shipping location, waiver signing.

- Add a calendar of inventory availability that is easy to use. (this is incredibly difficult to find on the market today. 

- Track inventory and buffer days for rentals

The Appointment tool is so close to being able to do this! Most other plugins are difficult to use and cost up to $500 a month which is very high pricing for a small rental business. 

Please reach out with any questions. 

Happy Hacking. 

Janie Greenwood

Rivers To Lakes

https://www.riverstolakes.com/

Message 10 of 68