x

Do loyalty points get taken away when a refund is initiated?

Points don't automatically get removed when a loyalty customer returns an item(s) that they received points for. I know you can manually adjust but this should be a no brainer to automatically removed during a return.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @cornpopper,

You're correct that the points don't automatically remove once a refund has been made. At this time, you have to manually remove the points from a customer's profile after a refund is initiated. 

To do so from the Square App:

1. Tap Customers.
  2. Search for your customer by name or phone number.
  3. Tap Edit next to their Loyalty status.
  4. Adjust points using the + / - signs.
  5. Tap Save.

I do see what you mean by it making sense to be automatic though so I will let our Loyalty team know about this suggestion. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 11
Alumni

@cornpopper  Good news - we just launched our feature to automatically adjust loyalty points after a refund. You don't have to worry about manually adjust points after the refund. Square will automatically do this for you.

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

This is incredible! Thank you so much!

If a transaction where a reward was redeemed is refunded, does the reward get reloaded and unredeemed  as well?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 11
Alumni

@pessosices - We do not un-redeem the reward because we believe not all businesses would want to unredeem rewards. In this case, you can still manage this via adjust points. 

Message 5 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

Interesting - the issue is as a manager I wouldn’t know if a reward transaction was refunded to be able to go in and adjust points. Maybe having it as an optional setting, or a notification when the situation happens so we can decide and act as needed?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 6 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

@lilychiang @kellyj 

Just wanted to follow up and definitely request for this to happen - we've had a few transactions where a customer used a reward, and then we've had to issue a refund and re-ring it up, and not realize that the reward & points didn't get reloaded to the account. If points would be automatically removed from transactions that were refunded, then points & rewards should be added back  from transactions that were refunded.

Thanks!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 7 of 11

Hey @pessosices!

I'd be happy to pass that along for you. Hopefully that'll be another thing to come in the future improvements for Loyalty! 🤞

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Message 8 of 11
Beta Member

This is an awesome fix. Thanks for the update!

Message 9 of 11

But what if the earned points have unlocked a reward for the customer, and after that, he requested a refund and the points deducted, will the reward be removed also? 

Message 10 of 11

Hi @OMMS thanks for reaching out here!

It's my understanding that when the points are removed as a result of issuing a refund, the subsequent reward level is also updated. You can view a breakdown of the refund process based on the Loyalty Program Type type here

Please reach out if you have any further questions.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 11 of 11