x
Beta Member

Make changes to an invoice that has a payment on it

Has anyone figured out a way to take a deposit on an invoice and still make changes to that invoice after a payment is applied?

Example: Client orders 10 chocolate bunnies for her Easter party a week away.  We take a deposit to confirm the order/invoice. Then the client finds out that she needs only 9.

Right now I have no way to edit the number of bunnies on the original invoice

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello Chocolatemann,

I was just able to edit an invoice for a guest who changed from one item in my inventory to a different item. Each item was priced differently so the actual invoice total was reduced and we had already accepted a 50% deposit. When I edited the invoice  up at the top it was still showing that the payment was made. When I actually completed the edit it now shows that the new 50% deposit has been paid and the balance that was remaining was applied to the final payment. Then net result is that I was able to reduce the amount owing for the total invoice, showed what the guest has already paid, and now their final payment is reduced.

I hope this helps.

Carolyn

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @chocolatemann - Once an invoice is paid or a deposit has been made towards the invoice there is no way to edit the invoice. Take a look at this thread where other Sellers asked a similar question. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Still kind of weird in Canada since we have to use accrual method required by law for many of use.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed-incom...

Message 3 of 6
Beta Member

Thanks for your reply,

cancelling an invoice as suggested in the other thread, wouldn't really work.

I just hope Square is looking into offering this feature as any business/industry that takes deposits on future sales/services needs to be able to edit invoices that have payments on them. Think wedding industry, catering businesses etc. 

Message 4 of 6

It also applies to accommodation suppliers if a guest changes from booking one room to another and there is a price difference for the rooms. We take a deposit to hold the reservation and now I am not sure what to do??

Update, I was able to edit the invoice, it applied the deposit payment I have received and now the final payment owing is corrected. Yay! It can be done

Message 5 of 6

Best Answer

Hello Chocolatemann,

I was just able to edit an invoice for a guest who changed from one item in my inventory to a different item. Each item was priced differently so the actual invoice total was reduced and we had already accepted a 50% deposit. When I edited the invoice  up at the top it was still showing that the payment was made. When I actually completed the edit it now shows that the new 50% deposit has been paid and the balance that was remaining was applied to the final payment. Then net result is that I was able to reduce the amount owing for the total invoice, showed what the guest has already paid, and now their final payment is reduced.

I hope this helps.

Carolyn

Message 6 of 6