x
Admin

Meet the Ladies of Business — Rockaway Beach

Get inspired! We're well into March and it's Women's History Month—there isn’t a better time to highlight a stand-out group of entrepreneurs who've banded together to make their community a better place! Learn about their journeys: Ladies of Business — Rockaway Beach.

LBRB.png

As I read through these profiles, I immediately thought of our Seller Community and everyone here who has a story of what's helped them reach their definition of success: an experience, a quote, or a resource.

I'll share a personal story that comes to mind. A piece of advice that's stuck with me stems back from my college days in Indiana. My Business Law 101 professor always reminded us to approach our work through this lens: "Be proud of what you do."

• Tying this mantra into my current role as a community manager: the longer I'm in the "tech scene"—the more I realize how important it is to understand our customers' needs, do my part to make incremental improvements for their businesses, and protect their interests. I'm proud to be a part of that process at Square. That quote wasn't built into the expensive textbook as I recall, but it's a consistent guide for me in many areas of my life. This phrase serves as a reality check and motivation to try my best. From small stuff, like taking the time to help an out-of-towner with directions on the street, to larger risks, like moving 1,500 miles away from my family to San Francisco in search of new opportunity—I believe the cumulative efforts of my professor's advice helped improve my life dramatically.

Square, builds tools that help you and your business succeed, but it's our community that makes us special. How has someone helped you realize your business goals or how have you been able to pay it forward? Feel free to share your takeaways below!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

That grassroots Rockaway Beach community is so incredible, and I'm so glad y'all have been sharing it here and on social media! I hope more towns follow their lead and establish their own small business groups - everyone benefits!

I absolutely love your story, @Tom! I definitely resonate with the mantra of having pride in what I contribute to the world. It's a wonderful way to live, and an even better way to work & run a business. I'm glad it's been working for you to improve your life and the lives of others you meet & impact!

My goal is "Make someone's day, everyday."

Similarly, it's through doing small things to help a stranger - with directions, holding a door, helping to change a tire (suprisingly this happens pretty often) - and everyday at my Ice Cream Shop. Ice Cream is an interesting product. Some people come in to celebrate a wonderful day, and some come in when they're having a terrible day. No matter which group a customer falls under, our goal is to make the celebrators even happier, and to try to raise spirits a little for those who need it. We treat every customer like a long time friend or family member, and remember the day in a positive way because of their experience here with us.

I've had the good fortune to have a great relationship with my dad, as a father and as a boss & business partner. And he's set the tone to make this goal the priority both in life and in our shop.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 4
Alumni

Thanks for sharing, @pessosices! Speaking of ice cream, how did the opening go? I'm sure you're making people's day all the time now that your store is open again 🙂

I personally have loved the quote from Charles Schulz "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." It gives me drive to give it my all and push boundaries when approaching projects! (Sorry Australia) 

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

It is absolutely my pleasure, @katieand !

Opening went really well, and it's our best March in years so far! I'll definitely write a post about our experience going seasonal soon!

We're absolutely back to making a lot of peoples' days!!

I love that! Glad that it works for you and keeps you moving!

That reminds me of this cute little youtube video about worrying too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YRjX3A_8cM

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 4