x

Mistake in entering payment for gift card purchase

When entering a gift card purchase transaction, the cashier selected 'Cash' as the payment type by mistake.  The card was loaded with the $100.  Since she still needed to charge the customer's credit card she did this separately as a miscellaneous transaction and charged the credit card.  Now the drawer shows $100 more sales than it should.  Can I "Refund' the $100 cash on the gift card transaction without it removing the $100 amount placed on the customer's gift card.  They have already left the shop and I want the $100 to remain on their gift card.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

That's a good question and I'm not 100% but I don't believe you can just refund a gift card sale and void the gift card in the wild.  @Kpay, is that correct?

Message 2 of 4
Admin

Hi @mike501 @VanKalkerFarms!

Just to confirm, this case if you refund the cash transaction for $100 it will not affect the gift card balance. 

The only time a refund would affect a gift card balance is if the original payment was made with a gift card. Then you'd be refunding the payment made with a gift card, to a gift card. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 4

I was printing gift cards for our customers. I made one in error for $150 instead of $50. So I have a charge on my credit card for a gift card that was destroyed. How can the $150 charge on the credit card be removed? I already called the cc company and disputed the charge but they said to contact you.

Message 4 of 4