x
Super Seller Alumni

My New Square Register Review

We were lucky enough to get our hands on a couple of the New Square Registers and we've been using them for a couple of weeks now, so here's my completely unbiased review of the sweet new hardware.

IMG_6895.JPG

+ Appearance:
Holy cannoli this thing is beautiful. The dark gray metal, the huge screens, the beautiful angles, it's an absolute marvel that definitely classes up our shop. While looks aren't everything, they absolutely help. We're big fans.

+ Dedicated System:

We really love that all this thing is and does is a register. No more dealing with locking down the iPad or worrying about my employees doing other things on it. It automatically reboots everynight in case there's a new update, and if it does it updates automatically.

IMG_2067.JPG

+ Customer Facing Display:

This is the real reason we got this thing, the customer facing display is worth its weight in gold. No more customers asking us to go back and tell them how much each thing costs, and ask again for the total, it's all right there in front of them, updating as we ring things up. The customer is responsible for putting in their own card, which frees up my employees to bag things up, and lowers risk of my employees forgetting to give them the card back. And if the customer puts in the card the wrong way, it tells them that and shows them how to put it in the right way. Genius!

We also love that it can either be docked on the back of the register or connected with a wire. While when it's docked it makes it a little harder if you need to override anything, or swipe to load up a gift card, it's not too bad.

The display is also a touch screen of course, so the customer can sign if needed, choose their own receipt method, type in their own phone number or email, and all that! We'd love to be able to customize the receipt screen in the future which is not available yet (we don't want them to be able to print a receipt) but that's hopefully coming. We use the Loyalty system, so the customer can claim their own stars and type in their own phone number which is a huge time saver and puts the onus on the customer to interact, rather than just us. While this screen and system can use a bit of work and polish to make it easier and less cumbersome, we love the potential and cant wait to see what this thing can do in the future.

IMG_3259.JPG

+ Bigger Screen:

We've been begging for a bigger screen ever since we got our first Square running iPad. There's room for more text under each item, and the text is all bigger which makes readability incredibly easy. It's also nice having the permanent side bar with pages and categories all there all the time. It takes a bit of getting used to the pages being on the side instead of the bottom, but it's easy enough.

- It's still new:

Most of my complaints and issues with this lie in the fact that it's a really really new device that's not even fully in stock yet. There's so much new tech and new possibilities with this thing that it takes time to polish things and develop software and processes that fully take advantage of what it can do. But from what I've seen with Square over the past 5 years of using it, this thing is going to be even better than it is pretty soon. It all can be fixed with software updates.

- The Fees:

While I don't like the new fee structure, since my average transaction sizes make it so I pay more for fees with this than with a standard iPad, to us all of the benefits are worth it. We're hoping to hit the mark soon, so we can apply for lower rates, and having a customer facing display that makes it really apparent that we accept credit cards should help us get there!

Hope this helps! Overall we're in love and we're glad we got them!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pesso

UPDATED: 2-9-18

Another 2 months of use, and we love them just as much as before. Still some kinks left to work through, but they've already improved a bunch of bugs that were bugging us.

We love the Register so much, we got ourselves a third one!

After some sweet slight renovations this winter here's our updated setup!

We got a wider, shallower, and taller Register Counter to fit 2 side by side with the cash drawer inside with no pesky wires showing, and got rid of the glass for a more open, airy, modern, inviting, and interactive vibe. We love it!

We're also now promoting our Stickers and Gift Cards with the little Table Marker stands which puts them right into view of customers and has already helped us sell more!

IMG_6231.JPG

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 1 of 77
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Thank you for writing this review, @pessosices! Our team is always at work to keep improving how Register operates - thank you for being patient and realizing that it takes time. I'll share your review with the product team to make sure they see your feedback. 

Also, "Holy cannoli this thing is beautiful." is my new favorite Seller Community quote! 😂 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Alumni

Best Answer

Thank you for writing this review, @pessosices! Our team is always at work to keep improving how Register operates - thank you for being patient and realizing that it takes time. I'll share your review with the product team to make sure they see your feedback. 

Also, "Holy cannoli this thing is beautiful." is my new favorite Seller Community quote! 😂 

Message 2 of 77

20190216_201937.jpg

20190216_201920.jpg

We love our Square Register @SouthernSpoonTN!

One feature request.  The dip and swipe slots need to be illuminated.  They are hard to see...especially in low light situations.  We had to use a label maker to point to where the dip and swipe slots are.  

Message 3 of 77
Admin

Thank you @ChefAdam! This is brilliant feedback for the Square Register team, we appreciate it! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 77
Super Seller

One of the biggest issues with a new cusotmer is getting the chip into the right slot on the front of the register.  My employees have gone as far as tacky looking sticky notes with a mark say chip and an arrow.  The current animation and lights are not near visible enough

Message 5 of 77

Hello, would you be willing to share what type of menu display you are using? Love how it really pops! 

Message 6 of 77
Alumni

This is awesome @pessosices! Thanks for sharing.

Adding @Dolphin26 since I know you were interested in a review! 

Message 7 of 77

Thank you for the post. Mine came today. 

Message 8 of 77

Installed the new square register today and was a snap. It’s awesome. A little training of our customers. I even put the receipt printer next to it so the customer can take their own receipt. Only thing is the receipt screen disappears quickly often times before the customer has time to make a choice on their receipt. Couldn’t find a way to increase that time. 

Message 9 of 77
Alumni

So glad set up was easy, @Renoparrot! We've added the screen wait time to our feature requests and will keep you updated. Thanks for that feedback! 

Message 10 of 77

Sounds great!  I ordered one and they failed to mention that it doesnt ship for 6-8 weeks.  

I cancelled my order bc there was no mention that it was going to ship 2 mths after.  

why would you sell me something that you dont even have to sell?  

You've set the wrong expectations and have a very upset customer whos going to tell everyone you guys suck! 

thanks

unhappy ex-square user

Message 11 of 77

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about this. We're really working hard to ramp up production to cut down the shipping time for Square Register. Once we're at scale the shipping time frame will only be 1-2 weeks. 

Currently, we do have a disclaimer on the order page. Also the shipping is outlined before you order Square Register. If you missed it initially, you can reference the image below. 

If you have any questions please let me know. I'm happy to help out. 

Message 12 of 77

Sorry for your bad experience. When I ordered it said 6-8 weeks for delivery, I received mine in 4 weeks. It’s well worth the wait. I’ve been using square for 3 years in my business and use many of their products; payroll, capital, and other products. Whenever I’ve had a question their response has been immediate and service is top notch. I sound like I work for Square, I don’t, just a small business with several employees that is extremely happy with Square. Maybe give them another try?

Message 13 of 77
Beta Member

Are you preferring to use the customer display seperate like in the pictures or docked? I suppose in the situation of how your counter is setup, seperate is best. I do like how the seperate customer display looks a payment terminal for the customer, which customers seem to greatly appreciate, and know to insert their own cards.

I wish I could find and have a use for it, but my business is mobile, so I am going to have to make do with the older chip reader :). 

Message 14 of 77
Super Seller Alumni

Great question - we love the look and simplicity of it when it's docked together, but it depends on the counter situation. We're actually re-doing our register counter now without the glass so we can dock customer facing display.

It being undocked definitely looks a little bit more like a traditional payment terminal, but we've tried it docked and customers seems to know what to do that way too.

That's fair! Do whichever method is best for your business! That's the magic of Square

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 15 of 77
Beta Member

I’d love to see pictures of your updated register setup!

Message 16 of 77
Super Seller Alumni

@Redlight2015 @Kpay

After some sweet slight renovations this winter and buying Register #3, here's our updated setup!

We got a wider, shallower, and taller Register Counter to fit 2 side by side with the cash drawer inside, and removed the glass for a more open, inviting, and interactive vibe. We love it!

IMG_6231.JPG

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 17 of 77
Super Seller

What size of image do you put on the customer display

Message 18 of 77
Admin

Hey @MichiganFarmsta, thanks for surfacing. It looks like a couple of other sellers brought up this question in this thread: Image size for customer screen? Have a look at worldcup's reply and let us know if that helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 19 of 77

How long did it take for each one of you to get yours? I haven’t heard a peep from Square since I ordered it, except the order confirmation email. I have opened a ticket with support regarding a timeline,  but they haven’t answered me yet. 

Message 20 of 77
Super Seller Alumni

The order page and your confirmation should have both said 6-8 weeks - you won’t really hear anything until it ships, since it does warn you several times that it could take that long.

That being said, mine shipped somewhere around the 4 week mark. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 21 of 77