x
Super Seller Alumni

My New Square Register Review

We were lucky enough to get our hands on a couple of the New Square Registers and we've been using them for a couple of weeks now, so here's my completely unbiased review of the sweet new hardware.

IMG_6895.JPG

+ Appearance:
Holy cannoli this thing is beautiful. The dark gray metal, the huge screens, the beautiful angles, it's an absolute marvel that definitely classes up our shop. While looks aren't everything, they absolutely help. We're big fans.

+ Dedicated System:

We really love that all this thing is and does is a register. No more dealing with locking down the iPad or worrying about my employees doing other things on it. It automatically reboots everynight in case there's a new update, and if it does it updates automatically.

IMG_2067.JPG

+ Customer Facing Display:

This is the real reason we got this thing, the customer facing display is worth its weight in gold. No more customers asking us to go back and tell them how much each thing costs, and ask again for the total, it's all right there in front of them, updating as we ring things up. The customer is responsible for putting in their own card, which frees up my employees to bag things up, and lowers risk of my employees forgetting to give them the card back. And if the customer puts in the card the wrong way, it tells them that and shows them how to put it in the right way. Genius!

We also love that it can either be docked on the back of the register or connected with a wire. While when it's docked it makes it a little harder if you need to override anything, or swipe to load up a gift card, it's not too bad.

The display is also a touch screen of course, so the customer can sign if needed, choose their own receipt method, type in their own phone number or email, and all that! We'd love to be able to customize the receipt screen in the future which is not available yet (we don't want them to be able to print a receipt) but that's hopefully coming. We use the Loyalty system, so the customer can claim their own stars and type in their own phone number which is a huge time saver and puts the onus on the customer to interact, rather than just us. While this screen and system can use a bit of work and polish to make it easier and less cumbersome, we love the potential and cant wait to see what this thing can do in the future.

IMG_3259.JPG

+ Bigger Screen:

We've been begging for a bigger screen ever since we got our first Square running iPad. There's room for more text under each item, and the text is all bigger which makes readability incredibly easy. It's also nice having the permanent side bar with pages and categories all there all the time. It takes a bit of getting used to the pages being on the side instead of the bottom, but it's easy enough.

- It's still new:

Most of my complaints and issues with this lie in the fact that it's a really really new device that's not even fully in stock yet. There's so much new tech and new possibilities with this thing that it takes time to polish things and develop software and processes that fully take advantage of what it can do. But from what I've seen with Square over the past 5 years of using it, this thing is going to be even better than it is pretty soon. It all can be fixed with software updates.

- The Fees:

While I don't like the new fee structure, since my average transaction sizes make it so I pay more for fees with this than with a standard iPad, to us all of the benefits are worth it. We're hoping to hit the mark soon, so we can apply for lower rates, and having a customer facing display that makes it really apparent that we accept credit cards should help us get there!

Hope this helps! Overall we're in love and we're glad we got them!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pesso

UPDATED: 2-9-18

Another 2 months of use, and we love them just as much as before. Still some kinks left to work through, but they've already improved a bunch of bugs that were bugging us.

We love the Register so much, we got ourselves a third one!

After some sweet slight renovations this winter here's our updated setup!

We got a wider, shallower, and taller Register Counter to fit 2 side by side with the cash drawer inside with no pesky wires showing, and got rid of the glass for a more open, airy, modern, inviting, and interactive vibe. We love it!

We're also now promoting our Stickers and Gift Cards with the little Table Marker stands which puts them right into view of customers and has already helped us sell more!

IMG_6231.JPG

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 1 of 77
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Thank you for writing this review, @pessosices! Our team is always at work to keep improving how Register operates - thank you for being patient and realizing that it takes time. I'll share your review with the product team to make sure they see your feedback. 

Also, "Holy cannoli this thing is beautiful." is my new favorite Seller Community quote! 😂 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Beta Member

Shipping is still showing 4-6 weeks but they may have to update that.

I ordered Tuesday and it was shipped Friday. Im receiving mine next week.

Message 22 of 77

I received mine about 4 weeks after ordering. 

Message 23 of 77
Super Seller

I order 2/1/18 and recived it 2/9/18

Message 24 of 77

Same here, ordered on 1/30 and receiving it 2/12, looks like their lead time is significantly less now. Hopefully set up will go as smoothly! 

Message 25 of 77

Does the square register: 

• Run the appointments module? 
  • Have a standard lock, like a kensington lock? Or is it secured with the mounting plate?
Message 26 of 77
Alumni

Hi @nateowens - I've moved your post here since there are some other Sellers discussing the register who might be able to answer your question. 

Currently, Register doesn't run Appointments, but it's valuable to hear that's a feature you'd like. I'll share it with our team.

Maybe one of the Sellers can chime in about how they secure the device!

Message 27 of 77

Hi,

It has a mounting plate that I drilled two holes in my counter and done. Took about ten minutes. If you have a glass counter, the adhesive on the plate is crazy strong. I used the adhesive when I placed the plate over the holes and got it slightly crooked and had a heck of a time getting the adhesive to let loose to straighten it. 

Mark

Message 28 of 77

I have ordered the square register for my retail store and am getting nervous about the back order time frame I am being made aware of, (my store opens Jan 15th) my question is...is the register worth the wait and if I change my mind can I switch to the stand and cancel my ordered register with ease?

Message 29 of 77
Alumni

Hi @BigM - Just moved you over to this thread where Sellers are discussing the Register. Good luck on your store opening! 🎉

Message 30 of 77

Hey BigM,

I received mine in about 4 weeks from the day I ordered. Took about 10 minutes to be ringing up sales. We are unbelievably pleased with it. It’s already light years above the stand, and I’m sure they’ll probably add more bells and whistles over time. 

‘Good luck with the store, make lots of sales.

Mark

Message 31 of 77

Thanks for the review. 

I have a few questions since I am buying this for my convenience store 

(1) is there a product catalog built in for products like coke and snickers. So I only have to enter my price when adding a product barcode. 

(2) how well integrated is it with square loyalty program and square email program. Description says that customer directory is in-built 

(3) is there a way to add a serial recipe printer instead of usb receipt printer 

(4) is there a way to add a weighing scale. For things like bulk candy 

(5) can I hook a keyboard and mouse so that I can enter items faster rather than typing on touch screen 

thanks

Message 32 of 77

Hey Desifoodmart,

‘I have a pet store and have been thoroughly pleased with the new square register. I can answer a few of your questions that apply to my business and maybe some others can answer the rest. I have about 3000 skews and most of them are bar coded I use a bar code scanner, super easy. Items that don’t have a barcode I have 3 pages for quick entry with a picture and you just touch the picture, again super fast and easy. As far as the email program goes I have never entered a customers information yet when I do an email promo it automatically sends out several hundred emails to my customers. Magic. The whole system have made things very easy for us. 

Maybe someone else can help with your other questions.

Mark. 

Message 33 of 77

Mark

thank you so much for your reply

Did you have to manually enter the 3000 items in the square register. Like the item description , cost, price etc. 

Or did square have a product catalog where if you scan the barcode it brings up the product and all you have to do is to enter the price ?

thanka 

Message 34 of 77

Not That I know of. We entered every skew. It was a big job but worth it. 

Message 35 of 77
Super Seller

@Desifoodmart, sorry I just saw your question buried in this review post.

1. there is no product catalog.  Anything you want to enter would be entered in either via the Square Register or by using a spreadsheet and uploading it to Square on your items dashboard.  you have to download the template when you start.

2.I don't use the Square loyalty program, but the loyalty program is based on their phone number.  They can also enter their email address for receipts, once they have an email address on file they are part of the reachable customers for marketing.

3.  no, serial printers are no supported.

4. no, scales are not integrated yet.  you can use an external scale with a variably priced item to enter the correct amount at transaction time.

5. no, mouse.  There is some support for a keyboard, but once you start using the device I think you will see that you can ring up items very fast.

Message 36 of 77

On the new register from square, Will customer be able to input all there information such as name, phone, address, etc. From the customer facing screen?

Message 37 of 77
Alumni

👋  @GRAYFASHION - I move your post over here since some other sellers are already discussing the Register here.

Message 38 of 77
Super Seller Alumni

@GRAYFASHION

Yes they can! If you go into add or edit a customer, the fields show up on the customer facing display. It’s pretty wonderful. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 39 of 77
Beta Member

Great news!!

Message 40 of 77

Thanks that’s awesome! 

So customers will be able to input all the information they deem appropriate such as phone number, Address, DOB, ETC?

Will you post some picture of how it looks when customers get the form for inputting their information on the customer display. Please!  

Message 41 of 77
Beta Member

Is there no way to connect a USB barcode scanner, or other USB add-ons? 

Message 42 of 77