x
Highlighted

My Sales Report Cash and Drawer Report Cash are not matching up

I've submitted this to Square for help a week ago, still no resolution.  I've been told the 'engineers' are workin on it and haven't gotten much help from CSR's.

My Sales Report Cash and Drawer Report Cash are not matching up, most days.  I've taken into consideration any payout's, pay'ins, refunds & discounts, I'm still baffled.

I'm concerned as my cash is typically much lower than the Sales Report and closer to the Drawer Report, however, Square is basing my taxes on Sales Report.  Now i'm running transaction reports to determine which is accurate.  

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Message 1 of 55
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: It appears that my cash transactions routinely are being dropped?

@TwoScoops @carrotseed - So sorry for trouble, and for the confusion about this issue. I was able to dig a bit deeper into this for you, and it looks like there is an ongoing case open with our Engineering Team. I reached out to them for an update on a timeline for fixing this. In the meantime, they did share the following two details: 

1) The cash drawer sales will be the correct number. 

2) If you hit the New Sale button before closing out Register, this should ensure cash payments are properly recorded. 

I will be sure to update this thread if I hear any other details. Thanks for bearing with us on this one! 

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Square

Re: Does anyone else get a different cash figure on sales report from drawer report?

Best Answer

Hi @HumaneSocietyBR

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as there's a specific set of actions that might be causing this to happen. 

When you complete a cash payment on any device (it doesn't need to be from another device), if the New Sale button isn't tapped after the end of a cash sale, it can cause a discrepancy with the drawer vs. sales reports.

There's no update as of right now on when this will get fixed, but it's an issue that our Engineering team is aware of. Tapping the New Sale button should prevent this from happening in the future. 

View Best Answer >

Message 32 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted

Re: My Sales Report Cash and Drawer Report Cash are not matching up

I am finding cash sales that I entered not showing on the reporting and also items that I categorized showing as uncategorised. What about that?

Message 2 of 55
Highlighted

I own a small restaurant with waitstaff. I put in my pay outs (tips) and pay ins (cash servers collect) and my numbers never seem to work out either. It makes me hesitsant to allow my supervisors to close out the register since the numbers are never correct 😞

Message 3 of 55
Highlighted
Admin

I went ahead and escalated this to our Support team @Thegreygoose! They'll need detailed information to be able to investigate this, for example, a recent report that showed a discrepancy.

You'll receive an email from Support soon, but if you'd like to speak to someone you can also call Support Monday-Friday 6am-6pm PT.

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 55
Highlighted

Did you ever get a response? I just sent this message to Square support:

How can there be a cash difference between the sales report and drawer report for the same period? A check was entered in Square as cash, but that would be reflected in both reports and isn't anywhere near the amount the two reports are offset. The actual cash (including check) agrees with the drawer report. The previous reports both had the actual cash amount to the penny. 

Message 5 of 55
Highlighted
Admin

Sorry to hear that you've been encountering this issue as well, @IRKPA. I went to check and it looks like you were able to get in touch with a member of our Customer Success team by the time we got to your post here.

We are aware of an issue where, if the New Sale button isn't tapped after the end of a cash sale, it can cause a discrepancy with the drawer vs. sales reports.

If that does not help solve the reporting dependencies you're seeing, please touch base with the team member that's assisting with your case—they'll take a look behind the scenes.

Message 6 of 55
Highlighted

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. This was the reply from Customer Success (the name no doubt reflects the intent but not always the result in our experience):

"Thanks for writing in. I apologize for the delayed response, we are currently experiencing a very high volume of email.

When a cash sale is completed, the "new sale" button needs to be tapped to complete the transaction. If this button is not tapped at the end of each cash sale, it can cause discrepancies with your reporting. 

I hope that this has addressed your concerns. If not, please give us a call for additional help at 855-700-6000 between 6am-6pm PT Monday-Friday."

It appeared that tapping the blue "New Sale" was the ONLY way to get back to the sales screen after entering amount tendered and "Print receipt" or "No, thanks," so the explanation made no sense. I discovered when checking the screen after a test sale that tapping the black "Transaction Complete" in the middle of the screen (which doesn't even look like anything to tap) does the same thing. Why have that part of the screen tappable if it causes a known problem??? It's also hard to believe that in 16 months of at least 30 different people using Square, the cash drawer and sales report discrepancy hasn't come up before--if it made a difference where someone tapped the screen at the end of a cash sale! 

If the transaction doesn't appear in the sales report, it's hard to understand why it iwould n the cash drawer. In QB, it will show as cash over rather than item(s) sold with sales tax, etc. By the way, the help line number said they could not take my call at this time "due to unforeseen circumstances." Too many people calling with problems, perhaps. I guess with all the variables and features, it's amazing Square works as well as it does.

Message 7 of 55
Highlighted

Another thread about this issue also mentioned that different devices in the same location sharing a cash drawer can also cause a similar discrepancy between reports.

Message 8 of 55
Highlighted
Admin

@IRKPA I'm really sorry to hear that you weren't able to call in when you tried, that's definitely not ideal. I would encourage you to call again this week or reply directly to the email you received with the details of a cash drawer and sales reports where you're seeing these discrepancies. With that information our CS team will be able escalate this to our engineering team to investigate further.  

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 55
Highlighted

Thank you for suggesting I follow up by email with more specifics. This is the response so far:

Thanks for writing in. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working on it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Message 10 of 55