x

New account - Right business classification?

Hello,

For the past 10 years I've been a part time IT consultant. I'm starting to turn it into a fulltime business and have some questions regarding my classification. 

I signed up for Square last week and I believe I put "Service industry, and other" or something similar. I don't remember all of the options. I ran my first credit card over the weekend and everything went through without a hitch. Someone suggested that I lookup best practices to avoid getting a freeze or hold on the funds. Having the correct merchant code was #1 I believe.

Since I'm a "new business owner", we do not have a lot of reserves in case there's an issue in the future. What suggestions can you give to make sure everything goes through fine? I keyed in the first transactions and then found out afterwards that can cause issues so I ordered a card swiper. The Client whose card I ran over the weekend wants me to build him a new PC and order Network equipment. I'm ordering the parts with my credit card and plan to charge him for everything when I deliver the product on Friday. I've ran close to $1k in credit card sales between Friday and Saturday (2 transactions) but I have a feeling alarm bells will go off when I slide the card for $4200.00 on Friday.

Any suggestions or best practices would go a long way. The material alone is going to cost me $3700 and the remaining $500 is labor. A hold for 30, 90 and god forbid 180 days would hurt pretty bad. I'm a sole prop and do not have any corporation paperwork if that makes a difference? Should I let Square know in advance of running the card?

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @MyNameIsntSteve

Welcome to the Seller Community and I'm glad you're doing your due diligence in making sure that you're protected as a seller. 

You'll want to work with our Support Team directly to make sure your Merchant Category Code is correct, as they can change this for you if needed. 

In regards to making sure you're taking the right steps to document payments and prevent issues, check out this Support Center article:

Best Practices for Accepting Payment Cards

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

I should probably add that I'm currently a "mobile business". I'm doing the consulting and work at people's house. I'll be delivering the PC/Gear and installing the network at the cardholders house. I'm not 100% sure of the billing address but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same as his house. I checked ID and matched it with the card prior to keying it in last Friday. I don't know if any of that helps. 

I messaged Square yesterday but I don't think I'll receive a response until tomorrow or Thursday based off the auto-reply. The problem is I'm ordering the equipment on Amazon today and it's being delivered tomorrow at my house. I don't have any leeway as far as timing goes to get all my ducks in a row.

Message 2 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @MyNameIsntSteve

Welcome to the Seller Community and I'm glad you're doing your due diligence in making sure that you're protected as a seller. 

You'll want to work with our Support Team directly to make sure your Merchant Category Code is correct, as they can change this for you if needed. 

In regards to making sure you're taking the right steps to document payments and prevent issues, check out this Support Center article:

Best Practices for Accepting Payment Cards

Message 3 of 4

Hi @EJ_

I spoke with Seller Support on Friday evening and went over this. Thank you for responding 🙂 Have a great day~

Message 4 of 4