x

Off-line transaction declined and Square dumped all the data I collected

Beware of off line transactions!  Our mobile hotspot went down and we were forced to process transactions offline to upload later.  I was aware of the risk of a declined payment, and our policy is to take a email for all Square customers in case of an issue.  We collected the swiped card data, customer name, and signature and also entered the customers email into the app.  

I was blown away that Square dumped all the data I collected because the card was declined.  I thought that the data I entered would remain with the transaction, especially if there was a problem like this.  Now I'm out $141 dollars and I don't even know who the customer was because Square deleted my data.  Square does so much right, we need to fix this glitch.

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @WeigtInc,

We don't save or store any personal information like that in the system. You can store that in your Customer Directory but since that's personal information you'll need to collect it manually. 

With Offline Mode you'll want to take down card information or contact information in case the card declines since you won't know until you get back into internet connection to upload the sales. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

I don't know how to view that information on the Square website, but Declined transactions will appear in the Transactions list on the Mobile App (I am still seeing Declined Transactions and the associated notes field back to the beginning of April 2022 in my app).

Message 22 of 22