x

Omitting refunded amount from sales data?

So I had my daughter helping and she accidentally did 2 very large transactions and went all the way through to the cash out page- I went ahead and refunded them which was no big deal. But now my sales data still shows those sales... why would they still show as sales if they have been refunded?? The sales summary and the sales trends are how I gauge our sales every day and now all that data on the sales trends is WAY off (her transactions were 67K and 37K and we are a coffee shop!). There has got to be a way to omit those sales that were refunded to not skew the data for years to come when doing comparisons..... suggestions?? Im annoyed that I cant just delete them, never been a feature, never going to be a feature- but this seems like something that should be an option!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Hey there @Danay! Refunds will always be included in your Gross Sales and cannot be deleted, unfortunately. However,  Net Sales. provides the true total minus refunds. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 10

Still not helpful bc the sales data are all based on gross sales and theres no way to modify that in the sales trends page. If I could just do net sales that would be great, otherwise its still a huge problem. 

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

@Danay

Ah I see. I'll pass your feedback up to the product team so they can make improvements to Reporting where needed. 

Keep an eye out for future announcements 🙂

Justin
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

@JustinC 

@Danay 

I've not refunded by amount before.  Today when I refunded $75 of a $200 sale (single item paid by invoice), it did not reduce the daily sales.  Now the sales figures for the rest of the year will be off by $75.  I thought this had been addressed years ago, but it appears that just the Item Return was corrected at that time.  If there are businesses that Refund by Amount frequently, it has got to be frustrating.  Square has made great strides in accuracy of the reports, but there are a few things that still need attention.

I'd appreciate it if this could be passed along. 

Thanks!

KimsBooks

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

@KimsBooks - Refunds are reflected on the day they're finished processing which can take up to a few days. If you just recently issued the refund, you might see a delay. 

If some time has passed and the $75 refund still doesn't appear, reach out to our CS Team for further assistance. 

Justin
Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

@JustinC 

I just want to make sure we're on the same page.  Yesterday the Refunds by Amount $75 was not reflected in the Net Sales.  Are you saying that when the refund is fully processed, it will be incorporated into the Net Sales figure?

My Net Sales yesterday should have been 365.28.  My understanding of accounting is that the Returns and Refunds by Amount should impact the Net Sales the same way.

Thoughts?

KimsBooks

2020-06-20.png

Message 7 of 10
Alumni

The $75 refund will not reflect in Net Sales, but will reflect in Total Sales. I understand it might be a bit confusing, but Returns and Refunds by Amount do not impact Net Sales the same way. 

@KimsBooks

Justin
Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

@JustinC 

--The $75 refund will not reflect in Net Sales, but will reflect in Total Sales.

Why not?  To a business the return and refund should reflect in the Net Sales the same way.  Perhaps that could be reviewed further in Beta?  The Total Sales figure is basically useless since it includes things that aren't relevant to daily totals...useful in other ways, but not in the actual sales for the day.  I think that's what people have been trying to convey, and I think that's where the confusion lies.

(my perspective is that of almost seven years of Beta testing for both POS and Analytics before the FB groups were replaced...not that it matters)

Message 9 of 10

Kim - I totally agree with you and Danay.  It is STUPID that the refunded amount or item remains in the Total Sales report.  I am arguing the same thing on another thread.  We are a small bar with occasional food items.  We don't run inventory/stock counts, but like you, watch Trends.  If a clerk accidently rings up 3 bottles of Bud Light Beer and that transaction is later "refunded", at the end of the day, it still show we sold those 3 bottles of beer - and that is COMPLETELY WRONG.

Come on Square - this can't be that hard.  We had a $200 cash register from Staples and this functionality was there.  Do transacted the refund or void (preferably this scenario should be a void function) against the actual sale and your day end report counts were correct.

Message 10 of 10