x

On the Sales Summary, what is the other category?

On the Sales Summary, what is the other category?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

other is an option when you are ringing up a transaction.   could be used to identify a  gift certificate or a reward card or any other non cash or check or credit card that you want to track.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

other is an option when you are ringing up a transaction.   could be used to identify a  gift certificate or a reward card or any other non cash or check or credit card that you want to track.

Message 2 of 9

I want to be able to get all of the sales total for everyone in a month and or week. I need to print it also.

Message 3 of 9

I recorded rent received in money order fashion as "Other" and now I am doing my taxes

and getting my totals from Square. I just want to know if that amount has been included in 

any of the Totals, like Total Sales or Net Total? Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @wandergirl99! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that explains what Other is in the sales summary.

This is for cash/check/etc payments that aren't cards.

These will still show up in your totals if you recorded them at any point last year. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 9
Beta Member

I've just begun to use "other" tender for sales outside of square so I can have all orders and customer info in one place, but particularly for payroll. 

I just looked at the date I entered those transactions and it is included in my gross sales. 

You'll just want to be sure when doing taxes, etc, that you don't count it twice. Once from where ever you received the payment, and again from your square reports.

That makes me question those that are using "other" for in-house gift certificates, or store credit.

If a customer purchases something, returns it for store credit, then you ring in a sale for a new item and put an amount under "other", you're showing an additional amount of income unless you refunded the customer, in which case you should just ring in a normal sale.

I think "other" is intended to be a way to bring into your Square account any sales from another service, such as an online company that pays you for selling through them, so all your sales are in one place. Then you just need to use square for tax purposes, etc.

Or I guess in a situation where goods are traded for services and you're claiming that income. I'm sure most just write it off, but if you're being honest, you should claim it. 

Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

I actually have a question of my own regarding "other" tender. 

When I used it for the first time, I forgot to turn off tax for a custom amount. We don't charge tax for online sales. So my amount was off. That is where this transaction came from, our online photo gallery, but we want to start entering these transactions in square so everything is in one place.

I refunded the tax amount and I'm just curious how that works. 

It processed as any other refund saying square was reviewing it.

I assume it will just "refund" and show on the transaction and that it operates like any other refund, just that square will not be attempting to send funds somewhere.

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

@crystalimages this is a great question. The refund processing time can apply to any refund, but you are correct, with any non-credit card based refund, you will see them refund and complete almost instantly. How long did it take for your Other Tender refund to complete? In most cases, the pending status would only be a short period while our systems updated the request. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 9

This is indeed an interesting question. Answering from a seller's website I usually list goods for sale , there is need for summary of all monthly transactions for each user. 

Message 9 of 9