x

Online Store loading slower for mobile site?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Site Overall Speed]

Hi there, I am looking at how I can improve the site speed of my E-Commerce Square/Weebly website. Using the google site page speed insights, the mobile site got a score of 5 and the desktop site got a score of 41. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Hey @laRaffinerie-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! 

Sorry to hear that the mobile version of your site is lagging or slower than the desktop version. We'd like to look into this for you, so if you could please reply with your website, we can look into this further. 

We look forward to hearing from you! 👀

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 15

our website is www.boutiquelaraffinerie.com

many thanks for your input !

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Hey @laRaffinerie-

Thanks for your reply.

Would you mind trying another speed test? Possibly by a different provider, other than Google?

Here’s one of several sites that reference slower speeds using Google.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 15

Hi there, So I've tested it with this website and we are still getting a really low grade and I've noticed overall it takes a really long time for our product pages to load. I've tried to resize all our. photos so that they are the smallest size possible but all while keeping the quality. 

Here are the test results: 

https://tools.pingdom.com/#5c8e431020400000

Message 5 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Got it. Thanks for sending that over, @laRafinerie. Were you able to try any other browsers or software options? If so, did you notice a change in speed at all?

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 15

Hi, No I havent noticed a difference between different browsers. The overall site speed doesn't change depending on different phones or browsers.

Message 7 of 15
Beta Member

Google PageSpeed Insights - https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

- shows very modest results for my site. What technical support will say how to speed up the site?

Message 8 of 15

Our Pagespeed rating is a 7 for mobile sites and our desktop is an abysmal 29. You are not alone in experiencing this problem. There is so much overhead for Weebly on both sides that is is giving us an awful reading no matter what we do.

I have tried building a WordPress site with woocommerce. There is a plugin that is SUPPOSED to work with Square but has 47 1 star ratings and I think 7 5 star ratings.

Has anyone found anything that actually will do a FULL sync with square inventory? I never could get their plugin to work.

I'm assuming Shopify is similar because of the complexity of its platform as well.

Has anybody found ANYTHING that works?

Rodney

Message 9 of 15

Hi, I'm having the same problem as the other people in this thread. Using Google's PageSpeed Insights tool, the results for both mobile and desktop are consistently below 25 (sometimes as low as 9, which is extremely poor), even after I've resized the images.

The opportunities and diagnostics provided by the PageSpeed Insights tool suggest the following major problems (none of which I seem to have control over...I believe this is baked into Weebly's code):

Opportunities:

- Remove unused JavaScript - estimated savings of 2.4 seconds

Diagnostics: 

- Reduce the impact of third-party code: Weebly 3rd party code specifically is blocking the main-thread for 2,754 ms.

- Minimize main-thread work - this is taking a whopping 7 seconds!?

- Reduce JavaScript execution time - it provides a long list of scripts and the time they are taking, it adds up to well over 4 seconds.

Please let us know if your developers are currently working on this or if it's in the queue. Seems like it's a problem many people are having and it can be traced to the way the websites have been designed and/or built.

Message 10 of 15
Admin

Thanks for providing some additional info from your speed tests, @ArndisJ, and thank you for joining Seller Community!

I don't know if those specific items are being worked on y our engineers, but I do know that our team is focused on improving performance when possible. For what it's worth, I visited your site using Chrome on my home wifi connection and it finished loading in about 2 seconds according to Chrome's developer tools.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 11 of 15

Thanks for the quick follow up @AdamB , much appreciated! It's good to know the team is looking at performance.

Message 12 of 15
Admin

Not a problem, @ArndisJ! I very much look forward as much as you do for any changes that improve speed and performance for sites built through us.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 13 of 15

Hi have the same problem but with every mobile site, on phone and computer.  I have over 1700 items in my shop and need to continue to add but don’t know how to have the items not load in a batch. Customers are getting agitated.  Help please!

Message 14 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Our team continues to work towards optimizing the speed and performance of Square Online Sites. If you need assistance with troubleshooting I recommend reaching out to our support team. You can give them a call at 855-809-9000 (English) or 855-700-2000 (French) between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 15