x

Order notification pop up

Last week the rectangle pop up that we used to get when an online order came through has stopped appearing.

I checked settings and for some reason it said my notifications on the iPad were disabled and I needed to allow notifications on the iPad for the square app to work.

I did this, but I no longer get the square "you have a new order" pop up notification in the middle of the screen.

This was really handy as we play music through the iPad via Bluetooth to a small speaker and whenever we got a new online order come through, it would interrupt the Bluetooth connection and alert us to check for new orders.

Anyone else have this issue? Have the pop ups been removed by Square in a recent update?

I'd really like to get those pop up notifications working again

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @KebabOnKent !

Square recently moved to having the order alert as a system notification instead of being in the app. I actually prefer it this way since inevitably I'd get a new order while I was trying to ring someone in, and it threw me off my groove. 😉

On your Point of Sale, go to More -> Settings -> Orders -> Alerts. Choose to allow notifications. So instead of that "bink bink" sound you'd hear from Square, you'll hear your system default alert when you get an order in. It should still stop your music though--at least it does on my iOS devices.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @KebabOnKent !

Square recently moved to having the order alert as a system notification instead of being in the app. I actually prefer it this way since inevitably I'd get a new order while I was trying to ring someone in, and it threw me off my groove. 😉

On your Point of Sale, go to More -> Settings -> Orders -> Alerts. Choose to allow notifications. So instead of that "bink bink" sound you'd hear from Square, you'll hear your system default alert when you get an order in. It should still stop your music though--at least it does on my iOS devices.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 11

Hi Ryan,

That's very helpful. Thank you for replying to me. I actually never had sound alerts enabled, so I'll give this a go.

Cheers,

Skott

Message 3 of 11

ATTN SQUARE FEATURES TEAM - HELP! This update has taken effect for us, and this new subtle banner-style notification out of the way at the top of the screen that disappears on its own - rather than the front + centre pop-up within Square that required my staff to actually action - means that my staff are missing new orders and we have to constantly dig down to check to see what orders they've missed printing, actioning and marking as in progress. I HATE this new feature and really want to have the option to go back to the old way. Even during peak hours while helping a customer, our staff can and have been able handle tapping a view > print > mark as in progress series of prompts while they're chatting.

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller

Hello @Madame_and_Yves !

Yes, the new banner can disappear before you have a chance to see it. I've missed a few orders because of it. Here's how I fixed it:

In your iOS settings (not the Square App):

Notifications -> Square

Change the Banner Style to Persistent.

This will cause the order alert banner to stay on the screen until it is swiped away. You may also want to turn off notification grouping so each alert is its own thing.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 5 of 11

Having the same problem here. Much preferred the alert that popped up in the Square app and stayed there until you closed it. The popup at the top of the screen now is useless. We keep missing orders too. And even in the app the Notifications tab won't show a number when there's a new order. Please go back to the old way Square. This was NOT an improvement!

Message 6 of 11

Thanks Ryan, I'll give that a try!

Message 7 of 11

I am having trouble with this as well. I have trouble shooted on all my devices: I deleted the Square app, updated all iOS devices, made sure to have notifications on the iOS persistent.  

On my Point of Sale, I went to More -> Settings -> Orders -> Alerts -> Preview Notifications... but that button is not working on any of my devices. I did log out and log back in on all devices. Is this a system error or personal error 🙂 

Message 8 of 11
Super Seller

Hello @Colies !

It does sound like there's an iOS setting that's stopping your order alerts. Are you using the Focus feature? If so, make sure Square is on the authorized list to allow notifications on whatever Focus mode you've set up. Also, check your iOS Settings->Notifications->Square and make sure you're set for Allow Notifications and one or more alert types are selected.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 9 of 11
Beta Member

I would like for my employees to be notified of new on-line orders through our register in the store.  I haven't found a setting to make this happen.  Is it possible?

Owner
Giggle Monkey Toys
'We All Gotta Play!"
Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @JohnC58 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed enabling Order Alerts on the Point of Sale.

Please see the reply from one of our Super Sellers, @ryanwanner, which has been marked as the Best Answer for instructions to enable this setting.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 11