x

PPP payroll forms

I'm a sole proprietor it's just me no employees and I applied for PPP loan and they say they need more information and they have a list of payroll forms they want like 940 or 941 or 944 and I don't have any of those so does that mean I can't apply or what could I send in its place? When I did the application yesterday I just sent a copy of my earnings for last year. Has anyone else run into this?

Message 1 of 69
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hey @Namastereiki @Tachery @Wirey03 👋Thanks for the question! If you are a non-employer and were asked for payroll documents pertaining to businesses with employees (940, 941, 944, etc.), you can submit your 2019 Form 1040, Schedule C instead (please include all the pages) and we can continue the review process for your PPP application. For more info, you can visit our PPP FAQ. We recommend sending this information in as soon as possible because we expect the SBA funding to be distributed quickly. 

View Best Answer >

Message 34 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

@timdbarnes   I would advise you to go through your local bank. I did the same thing you did, I’m a sole proprietor and I applied. I wasn’t getting the full amount as described in the calculation. I then contacted my local bank and they applied for me, I then received the full amount the following day after application. I strongly urge you to check into applying through your local bank. Through square I was going to receive $800 less. 😡

Message 22 of 69

I ran into the same problem. I would like to know as well. 

Message 23 of 69

I got the same email as well, but my business didn’t open til 12/31/19, so I have no tax forms from previous years.

Message 24 of 69

Dear Square - we as square users were so excited you are participating in the PPP loan program. However your application has a problem.

It does not work properly for sole proprietors who have payroll, or sole proprietors without payroll.  The calculator only bases it on the w3 -or 941 reports for payroll. If we have employees it is supposed to calculate on payroll AND Schedule C "income replacement" for the owner. The loan calculation doesn't work.  

I have a lot of associates that use square, and so far your application only works for incorporated businesses.  Are you going to fix this soon?

All of us who are sole proprietors, and independent contractors need help too.

Donald B. Beck, DDS

Message 25 of 69
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @DonBeck

Welcome to the Community! 

I moved your post to a thread with a similar topic. 

Take a look at the best answer in this thread by @Regina_B for some helpful information. Please let me know if this doesn't do the trick! 💡

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 69

How does a partnership that does not have any employees apply for a PPP loan?

Message 27 of 69

I'm completing mine now. Did you get approved?

Message 28 of 69

No, I have not able to submit the application because it requires uploading a document with a payroll form, and we do not have payroll. At the beginning of the application, I put in 2 employees just so that I could continue with the application.

Message 29 of 69

I submitted my application and it went through fine with 0 employees.  Hope you get it to go through!

Message 30 of 69
Square Community Moderator

Hey @dweinertex,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller having the same issue was answered by one of our Capital team members.

If you have any further questions aside from her best answer, please contact the Capital team directly by phone or email and they'll be able to assist you further from there.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 31 of 69

So make sure when you're applying that you put zero employees instead of one like I did because if you put one employee then it triggers them wanting you to send payroll tax forms and stuff like that. So if it's just you just put zero and then you won't have to go through what I did. Fortunately I got someone in the capital group and she helped me get that straightened out and now I'm just waiting for SBA approval

Message 32 of 69
Square

Hi @dweinertex, if you are a partnership and do not have employees, you unfortunately do not qualify for the Paycheck Protection Program through Square Capital. However, you may qualify with another lender. For more information, check out our PPP FAQ

Message 33 of 69
Square

Best Answer

Hey @Namastereiki @Tachery @Wirey03 👋Thanks for the question! If you are a non-employer and were asked for payroll documents pertaining to businesses with employees (940, 941, 944, etc.), you can submit your 2019 Form 1040, Schedule C instead (please include all the pages) and we can continue the review process for your PPP application. For more info, you can visit our PPP FAQ. We recommend sending this information in as soon as possible because we expect the SBA funding to be distributed quickly. 

Message 34 of 69

That is what I submitted and it still bounced back to me asking for the payroll tax. I submitted a schedule c are you meaning that I need to do the whole 1040 form also

Message 35 of 69
Beta Member

Message 36 of 69
Beta Member

I applied Thursday night.  Couldn’t get an answer about my pay as the owner (I don’t get a paycheck).  I didn’t want to loss out so I submitted without anything on me.  I haven’t heard a thing.  Really worried I won’t get anything.  Is there a way to modify to include my compensation rather than just my employees payroll?

Message 37 of 69

So what I would do is call them and then ask to be patched through to a member of the capital team

Message 38 of 69

I tried to cancel my application and was told that the PayPal capital team was not taking any phone calls. The operator told me the only thing he can do is put an order in to cancel. 

Message 39 of 69
Beta Member

@Hawk This is exactly the issue I am having. Square does not seem to understand the issue here. I have been trying to get this resolved for a week

Message 40 of 69

I urge you to go through your local bank. I applied and was approved the following day with no processing/application fee. 

Message 41 of 69

@square_marc  I cancelled my application through square which I had to do through an operator because I was told the square capital team is No longer taking phone calls. I then applied through my local bank, was approved the following day and the funds were deposited. I would suggest applying through your local bank if at all possible. I was also not Co argued any processing fees. 

Message 42 of 69