x

PRODUCT LIBRARY DISRUPTED. SQUARE ONLINE DOES NOT HAVE A BACKUP SYSTEM?

Hello,

As some of you may know, Square had a huge disruption with product libraries causing payment failure. They restored it back in a few hours, but in my case, all products on the website encountered majors disruptions, and I have about 120 products.

-each product was unassigned from its category.

-each product lost its SEO details.

-each product restored from "food and beverage" to the default "physical."

-the list of modifiers in each product lost its arrangement.

This is a huge disruption. Square said that they do not have a back up system in place and they cannot restore the website to an earlier point in time prior to the outage, and I have to do all the work myself. Really?

Any of you experienced this?

I mean, users have to spend hours to fix Square's their lack of redundancy?

How is this possible in a world where redundancy is the utmost priority?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

My only suggestion as someone that has worked heavily on websites for years is to always have your own backup. Things happen that no one expects. It's always better to make sure you're prepared.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 2 of 11

I do not think that Square online allows you to create a back up. I am not a developper.

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

They should have FTP access into the backend of your website. Have you called support to ask about this? I don't use their online website so I'm not 100% but just throwing out ideas for you to look into. 

Making your own backup is incredibly easy. You don't have to be a developer to do it.

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 4 of 11

In their online dashboard, I do not see where I can create a back up. In Wix, it is pretty easy.

Message 5 of 11
Square Community Moderator

@pizzarieti I suggest getting in touch with our eCommerce team for them to dig into this for you. Our Support team would be able to look into this with you! When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here: squ.re/contactsqsupport

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 11

Hi,

I did reach out to the online support team and they said that I have to change all 100+ products myself. Really?

Message 7 of 11
Square Community Moderator

This must be frustrating. I will share your experience with our product team so they can have visibility on this matter. Thank you for taking the time to share this experience here in the Seller Community @pizzarieti

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 11

Thank you. My website is down due to this. I mean, if you run wordpress and you encounter something like this, you are responsible, but when you pay for a website service like Square, Wix, or another, the team behind are responsible and they should be the ones to fix such huge errors, not me. 

Message 9 of 11

I have asked support, they said that they cannot restore it, which is really strange.

Message 10 of 11
Super Seller

Ask support specifically about FTP access to the backend of your website.

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 11 of 11