x

Payroll - previous pay period straddled the new year (Dec 14, 2018 - Jan 14, 2019)

We are starting with Square Payroll in 2019.  Our previous pay periods were monthly paid on the 14th.  This creates a half period in 2018 for the old payroll company and a half period for Square (Jan 1-14).  Can we just start Square on the 1st and do monthly payrolls going forward (just ignoring the last pay period in 2018)?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller Alumni

You need to remember that any time paid for hours in 2018 is going to go on a 2018 W-2.  My advice (if you haven't switched your payroll over) would be to wait until your employee hours are in 2019.  If that's not possible, Square would have to refile all of your paperwork for 2018.  I thought I had it figured out when I made the switch.  I was a couple of days off, and Square had to re-file my paperwork for the government for the entire year.

Does your old payroll processor offer of cycle runs?  Could you put a 2 week paycheck together from the old processor and then run a 2 week cycle with Square for the 2 weeks in 2019?  You could then start monthly after that.

Message 2 of 2