x

I'm concerned about unauthorized account access and phishing scams. What do I do?

I woke up this morning and my email address had been changed (not by me). There is not an easy way to get help. I tried to access the website to get a phone number, and it made me create a new account, but the phone lines are closed for the weekend. I tried emailed the help desk and security, but have not received responses. I am panicking, because some Joe Schmo has my bank information and customer listing at his fingertips. I send out invoices at the beginning of each month, and god only knows what is being done in my name. Please help if you have any suggestions!

Message 1 of 65
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Given the sensitive nature of this subject, we have to escalate these issues into our support team to resolve. If you haven't already, please use this form to send our team an email: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact

If you have already sent an email, then there is no need to send another one. We answer emails 7 days a week, so our support team will respond, and will take the appropriate actions to ensure your account's safety.

Phishing scams tend to be the root cause of these issues. Phishing scams are what happens when a fraudulent person reaches out via phone, email, or even text, in effort to gain access to someone else's legitimate account. These articles contain useful information on how to recognize, and protect yourself from a phishing scam.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 65
64 REPLIES 64
Super Seller Alumni

You can forward those to: spoof@squareup.com.  Here's the site that addresses phishing scams.

Judy T Shumway
Message 22 of 65

spam.png

Message 23 of 65
Square Community Moderator

Heya @mksalter,

Thanks for flagging! I moved your post to one of the existing threads about phishing scam emails that details where you can forward them.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 65

FYI - I received an email from "square" today noting negative customer feedback....It was well put together but clearly bogus.  Beware!

Message 25 of 65
Super Seller

It is unfortunate that there are so many scammers out there.  Always good to be alert and not click links in email and go directly to the website in question.

Message 26 of 65

@rhuberty Welcome to the Seller Community and thank you for surfacing this. @VanKalkerFarms is correct. Please do not click any links in that email and please forward it to spoof@squareup.com.

I've also merged this thread to another existing one that addresses these same concerns. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 27 of 65

Over the past week or so I've receive emails supposedly from Square that either deposits or withdrawals are being made to or from my account.  So far, neither have actually happened.  I've changed the password twice.  Is there anything else I can do to prevent any actual withdrawals?

Message 28 of 65

Hi there, @tresajones 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community - happy to have you join us!

We can help clarify a bit what may be happening here. This is most likely a phishing attempt by someone impersonating Square in an attempt to steal private information. No real access to your account has been compromised.

If you could do us a favor and forward this over to spoof@squareup.com, it would help us in our investigation into where these are coming from.

In regards to keeping your account safe, we would recommend enabling 2-step verification if you have not done so already.

Joe
Message 29 of 65

Our organization received a spoofed email from someone pretending to be from square.

They did a very poor job and was an obvious spoof.

What I would like to know is how they have my email that is associated with square?

Message 30 of 65

Hi @merchant95726 and welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you got a phishing email from someone pretending to be us.

Sellers and non-sellers of Square will sometimes receive these and you'll want to forward them to spoof@squareup.com for further investigation. Also, please do not click any of the links in the email

Ashley C
Message 31 of 65

Just received a couple of Fraudulent Emails supposedly from Square.

The content for one was:

At Square, we work very hard to always protect our customers and buyers alike. One of your customers has made serious complaints about your Goods/Services. <https://squareiaosmdnf.com/>

Reason;

Goods/services not delivered.

For this reason we will be placing a temporary suspension on your account, as well as your weekend deposits.

If you think this was a mistake, please follow the link below to respond to your customer's complaints and we'll work on returning your account back to normal.

Click here to respond to your customer >  <https://squareiaosmdnf.com/

The other one was

Hello,   

•              Your next $1,781.82 in sales will be processed for free. 
  •              Square will reimburse your processing fees for up to $1,781.82 in sales processed through Square.          
  •              Your Square Dashboard <https://aomsodmds.com/>  tracks your transactions and fees. Fees will be reimbursed on each deposit.     
  •              You have $1,776.82 remaining in your free processing balance. Get more by referring friends <https://aomsodmds.com/> .    
  •              After $1,781.82 in sales or 90 days, Square's standard pricing <https://aomsodmds.com/>  will apply.     

Learn more about Square's Free Processing Promotion in our Support Center <https://aomsodmds.com/> .          

Thanks,

The Square Team <https://aomsodmds.com/>    

Be aware of these out there. I did not respond.

Message 32 of 65
Admin

Thanks so much for giving other sellers a heads up @BrenKoch. Can you please forward that to our team at spoof@squareup.com?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 33 of 65

Just forwarded these to spoof@squareup.com. Thank you for the info. Wanted you and the community to be aware. I spotted them as fake and did not click on anything.

Message 34 of 65

Possible scam/fraud!

I have received 3 emails just today about my bank account being debited for 3 different amounts by square! I am hoping they haven’t hacked my account to get this information! 

Message 35 of 65

I also received an email that my banking account will be receiving a deposit. I forwarded it to spoof@squareup.com  Don't click on any of the links.

Message 36 of 65

Scam email received today November 12, 2019

1spamemailsquare.jpg

Message 37 of 65

I have been getting three or more of these emails every day for the last few weeks and have been forwarding them to square fraud.  In the past I would get maybe one a month, if that.  Not sure how these people know I use Square.  I have a small dog grooming business and average about 7 credit card transactions a week.  Because of the increase in fraud emails and Square’s increased fees I will more than likely discontinue accepting credit cards. 

Message 38 of 65
Beta Member

[Personal Information Redacted]

unnamed.png

Message 39 of 65

Hi @ibilofsky! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread on phishing scam emails. See more information above. 

Ashley C
Message 40 of 65

Screenshot_20191126-125635_Gmail.jpg

Just got this email. Beware. Trying to contact square and having no luck.

Message 41 of 65

Hi @Mommylizzardx3,

We're aware of these emails. I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community about phishing scam emails. See the posts above for more details!

Ashley C
Message 42 of 65