x
Beta Member

Potential Bug with taxes or something I am doing wrong?

A quick post for the Square Team (or any experienced Square users who may have experienced the same issue).  Not sure who to aim it at exactly but @JessRog and @tranguyen have been really helpful so far so get a mention but response welcome from all!

We sell many seasonal food items and rather than have them clutter up the PoS screens when unavailable, I set the items to "No Locations" in the Library.  Then when they are available again, enable the locations once again.

Recently, when re-enabling the locations, I have noticed the "Taxes" changes from (the intended) "No Taxes" to "VAT".  This may have always been happening and I have only just noticed it.  Is this supposed to happen?  If so, can it be changed so that the the allocated tax category does not change unless we intentionally change it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @filletandbone! I had a look into this and this is an expected behaviour right now.

Currently, if taxes are enable, when you create a new item or moving an item from No Location to a particular location, the tax will automatically applied to that item. If the item shouldn't have tax enable, you'd need to manually change this within the item setting. 

Aside from manually updating the tax, there isn't a workaround for this at the moment but it's definitely something to share with our Product team so there can be more flexibility & customisation around tax settings. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @filletandbone! I had a look into this and this is an expected behaviour right now.

Currently, if taxes are enable, when you create a new item or moving an item from No Location to a particular location, the tax will automatically applied to that item. If the item shouldn't have tax enable, you'd need to manually change this within the item setting. 

Aside from manually updating the tax, there isn't a workaround for this at the moment but it's definitely something to share with our Product team so there can be more flexibility & customisation around tax settings. 

Tra
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Thanks for clarifying @tranguyen , I now know to keep an eye out for that but it surprises me that set Tax Values would change without any direct user input.  Is there a better way for me to temporarily deactivate an item other than the way I am currently doing it?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Sorry this got away from me yesterday! I think what you are doing is the best way to configure it right now. From what I gather, the system is designed to consider taxes as something that will always apply when it's enabled which is why it's currently behaving like outlined above. But it's definitely something the team can look into so the feature can work for different businesses with different needs. 

Tra
Message 4 of 4