x

Problems updating my EIN on the Square Dashboard

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: EIN Problems

I am trying to link my EIN to my account and Sqaure keeps popping up with this message saying "We are currently unable to contact the IRS to validate the name and TIN you provided. Please try again at a later time." What does this mean? Is the IRS currently having issues latley? Please help?? 

Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@shalstead1912 @Richio I'm sorry for the frustration, it's not you! The message your seeing in the Tax Forms section of your Dashboard is accurate: occasionally, the IRS experiences downtime. Because our systems connect to the IRS to update your information, when the IRS experiences intermittent downtime, we're not able to update your information. 

Please wait 48 hours before attempting to update your taxpayer information again. Apologies again for the trouble and thanks for your patience in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

I am having the exact same problem.  I tried numerous times throughout the day.  I called the IRS and the lady was very helpful, but the problem is not on their side.  I input the exact match of data from my official EIN. The problem is on Square side but cannot get a human at Square!

Message 2 of 33
Admin

Best Answer

@shalstead1912 @Richio I'm sorry for the frustration, it's not you! The message your seeing in the Tax Forms section of your Dashboard is accurate: occasionally, the IRS experiences downtime. Because our systems connect to the IRS to update your information, when the IRS experiences intermittent downtime, we're not able to update your information. 

Please wait 48 hours before attempting to update your taxpayer information again. Apologies again for the trouble and thanks for your patience in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 33

I'm also having problems adding my EIN. I get the message "The name and TIN you provided do not match what is on file with the IRS. Please verify the information you are providing matches exactly what is on file with the IRS."

But, it does match EXACTLY to the IRS documents. Is there another way to add my EIN for verification on my account? 

Message 4 of 33

Hello @mcariac, does your business name on your Square Account mirror the IRS paperwork as well?

Message 5 of 33
Super Seller

Im having this exact issue. I get an email about once a month, and it says once I update it will stop sending me emails. BUT I am UNABLE to update. So frustrated with this issue!!! Can I just leave this go...or will I get into tax troubles?!

Message 6 of 33
Super Seller

wait, I think I fixed this...I found this tidbit  buried in a help section:

• Enter your legal name instead of your business name. Please note that a Doing Business As or DBA is not a filing recognized by the IRS. Be sure to enter your full legal name, e.g., John D. Smith DBA “John Smith Enterprises” should be entered as “John D. Smith.”

NOTE to Square: this would be great info to add right in the section where you asked people to fill this information out. 

Message 7 of 33

DID YOU FIX THIS ISUUE ?

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM 

Message 8 of 33

Fredy, I fixed it after 3 weeks of trying... It worked one day, by clicking constantly on the button for about 20 minutes straight and finally getting a success message.

I've been told to try early mornings, but it worked for me on a late Friday afternoon.

I wish you the best. Customer support did not really provide me much reassurance, and even when they contacted me directly, they did not resolve the issue for me. 

Message 9 of 33

GREAT TO HEAR THAT 

LAST QUESTION 

DID YOU PUT YOUR business name 

OR 

LEGAL NAME ?

PLEASE HELP ME 

Message 10 of 33

You must put the name exactly as it shows on your legal paperwork that corresponds to the EIN. 

I also did not put the hyphen in the EIN.

Message 11 of 33

I am having the same problem I did everything.  @Helen is there any way to upload my documents for verification?

Message 12 of 33
Admin

@Torshis Were you able to run through the updating your taxpayer information troubleshooting steps that are listed in our Spport Center?

Those steps usually help but if you've tried them already please do call our CS team so we can help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 33
Beta Member

I need to update my taxpayer info for year 2021 - I have checked and for over a week has given me this message "updating tax info currently unavailable.. check back in 24hours"

Please help. I changed my company from a SP to an LLC starting 1/1/21.

Message 14 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @blackandwhite - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding errors when updating their taxpayer information from the Dashboard. Take a look at this Best Answer from Helen who will give a bit more insight into the IRS downtime. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 33

Did you get yours to work? I was having trouble for a week now, I tried putting my business name and legal name but no luck with it. Until now I inputted my legal name with "SOLE MBR" at the end of it (just trying it out)  since the letter from the IRS has that word at the end of my legal name and it finally works! Hope you get yours to work. Goodluck!

Message 16 of 33

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Trying to set TaxID

Trying to input our taxID in the tax screen, and it keeps saying it cannot contact the IRS.  Anyone else having this issue?

Message 17 of 33
Admin

Hello @FestusTiger.

I've merged your post in to this thread so you can see the Best Answer I've shared with other sellers.

In short, sometimes Square can't connect to the IRS's website because the IRS site gets overloaded. I suggest trying again in 24-48 hours. Thanks so much for your patience! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 18 of 33

This problem persists.  I've tried for two days now....early morning, late into the night and several times throughout the day.  Seems as though it's a Square problem and not one with IRS.  So frustrated. 

Message 19 of 33
Alumni

Hey @sweetspot - Sorry that you're still having issues here. I recommend reaching out to our CS team and they'll be able to take a closer look and see if anything on our end is indeed blocking your ability to update your EIN.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 20 of 33

I continue to receive emails asking me to update my dashboard for tax purposes however, the site is not retaining the information.  Yes, I pushed save! 

Message 21 of 33