x
Square

Process recurring payments with Card on File

What is Card on File?

Card on File allows you to process recurring or subscription payments. You can store payment details for your regulars and charge them at the tap of a button to save time at checkout. This can be done through the Point of Sale app, Invoices, or Virtual Terminal.

There are many ways to easily store a card on file including before a sale, after a sale, and from your Customer Directory. After saving a customer’s card information, simply select the customer you want to charge and you’re done!

Worry less about security. Square’s approach to security is designed to protect both you and your customers with industry-leading standards for fraud protection.

When to use Card on File?

Below are some examples of when Card on File may be handy for your business!

Remote billing and subscriptions

Skip the phone tag (and that notepad full of credit card numbers) and store customer payment information safely — then bill them when you need to.

Personalized in-person checkout

Give your regular customers a quicker, more seamless experience in-person with the convenience of house accounts.

Recurring invoices

Sending recurring or multiple invoices to the same customer? Save their cards on file to immediately process invoice payments and get paid faster.

Why use Card on File?

• Speed: Save time by finding customers quickly and charging them instantly.
  • Security: Store customer payment information safely in Dashboard. Square’s approach to security is designed to protect both you and your customers with industry-leading standards for fraud protection.

How to use Card on File?

• How to use Card on File with Square Point of Sale application
  • How to use Card on File with Square Invoices
  • How to use Card on File with Virtual Terminal
  • Save payment cards to customers in your directory. Here is how to link a payment card to a customer profile.

Pricing

Pay just 3.4% + 15¢ per transaction when you use a card on file with Square Point of Sale application, Virtual Terminal or Square Invoices. 

FAQ

Why is the pricing for Card on File higher than for swipe, dip, tap?

As a manually entered card payment, this feature follows our standard pricing for these types of charges. The higher fee for manually entered transactions is due to a greater risk involved with these payments, as neither the payment card nor the buyer have to be present for the payment to occur.

Can my customer manage saved cards from their end?

Your customers can remove their card by following the link provided in their last card on file notification. They will receive notifications when their card is stored, email address is changed, and when a payment is made using a card on file. 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing these steps to process payments by saving a customer's card on file!

I just want to add that you can now also use card on file with Square Appointments. This feature can be used in to charge clients for future bookings and to charge no-show cancellation fees.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing these steps to process payments by saving a customer's card on file!

I just want to add that you can now also use card on file with Square Appointments. This feature can be used in to charge clients for future bookings and to charge no-show cancellation fees.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 4

I'm trying to bill biweekly recurring payments. And my only options are daily, weekly or monthly. What can I do?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Bodysmokingspa, I see this is your first post. I am so happy to have you join The Seller Community! 🎉👏 Feel free to reach out to me or any of our Seller Community moderators if we can help with anything 😊

To clarify, are you wanting to set up payments with invoices, subscriptions, or on Virtual Terminal? 

Message 4 of 4