x
Square

Process recurring payments with Card on File

What is Card on File?

Card on File allows you to process recurring or subscription payments. You can store payment details for your regulars and charge them at the tap of a button to save time at checkout. This can be done through the Point of Sale app, Invoices, or Virtual Terminal.

Below is an example of how Card on File works in Virtual Terminal. After saving a customer’s card information, simply select the customer you want to charge and you’re done!

Screen Recording 2017-12-12 at 02.03 PM.gif 

When to use Card on File?

Below are some examples of when Card on File may be handy for your business!

Remote billing

Skip the phone tag (and that notepad full of credit card numbers) and store customer payment information safely — then bill them when you need to.

House accounts for your regulars

Give your regular customers the convenience of house accounts so that their transactions are quick and seamless when they come in

Recurring invoices

Sending recurring or multiple invoices to the same customer? Save their cards on file to immediately process invoice payments and get paid faster.

Why use Card on File?

• Speed: save time by finding customers quickly and charging them instantly.
  • Security: store customer payment information safely in Dashboard.

How to use Card on File?

• How to use Card on File with Square Point of Sale application
  • How to use Card on File with Square Invoices
  • How to use Card on File with Virtual Terminal
  • Save payment cards to customers in your directory. Here is how to link a payment card to a customer profile.

Pricing

Pay just 3.5% + 15¢ per transaction when you use a card on file with Square Point of Sale application, Virtual Terminal or Square Invoices. 

FAQ

Why is the pricing for Card on File higher than for swipe, dip, tap?

As a manually entered card payment, this feature follows our standard pricing for these types of charges.

Can my customer manage saved cards from their end?

Your customers can remove their card by following the link provided in their last card on file notification. They will receive notifications when their card is stored, email address is changed, and when a payment is made using a card on file. 

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67
Admin

Glad to hear this is a helpul feature for you Dave @CoffeeRoaster! 😊

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 64 of 68

I believe this is great for the client and for convenience. They do not have to take out their card. However, I would be more likely to use this feature if it wasn't more expensive. As a new business owner, all of my dollars matter. I cannot wait to get them back during taxes. 

Message 65 of 68
Admin

Hi @thesunnyside. Thanks for your post to share this feedback. The fee is currently 3.5% +15c per transaction, but if the the pricing changes in future you can be sure we'll announce it (every little helps!) and hopefully you can consider using this feature.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 66 of 68

It seems to me that the only justification for an increased fee would be if Square incurs additional expenses. What is Square's additional expense?

Message 67 of 68
Super Seller

Since the number is entered from a stored number on file and not from a dipped or swiped card The credit card processing network charges a higher fee for "card not present" or manually entered cards which inherently carry higher risk, that is why it is more expensive.

Message 68 of 68