x
Beta Member

Processing outside gift cards ie Visa, Mastercard etc...

Over the past couple of months our customers have been unable to process gift cards for payment.  I could have sworn that we used to be able to do that with no problem.  While we do not frequently have customers that use them, we do on occasion and they are getting upset that I cannot take them.  I have lots of kids that got gift cards for graduation and want to buy things for college and every time we swipe on, it is declined.  Anyone else?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

@frillseekerstx Are the swipes for more than what is left on the card?  Most of the time now, you have to enter the exact amount left on the card for the transaction to work in  some cases.  At least that has been my experience lately.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

We've been able to accept them.  Is the purchase total more than is available on the gift card?  If so, you'd need to split the charge and enter the amount on the gift card and then swipe it.

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Thank you both for your responses.  I will try splitting the charge next time.  I don't know why I didn't think about that before. I often get folks who have no idea what they have left on their cards.  You know how it goes....

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

This happened to me recently.  I called the Visa processor for tips.  Here is what they said. 

Since I take tips they automatically run the card for a "hold" of the charge plus 20%.  So if the card is $100 and the customer's total is $100 Visa will run a hold for $120 and the card will be denied.  Kind of frustrating.  They told me there is no way around the hold.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 5 of 5