x

Product brochure or data sheet download

Hi, our customers would like a way to download a brochure or data sheet about the products they are purchasing.

Some of the products are fairly technical and detailed.

The on line web store description and photos are ok, but what they really need is the ability to download the equivalent of a PDF brochure.

Is there any way to do this with the web store?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

It is a "brochure", so it is intended for potential customers to be able to download.

The information is the same as the item description, really just a PDF of the description plus photos in one document.

I guess this means that there isn't a way to store this info on the site for download in the same way that a photo of the item is stored on square?  It would be stored / hosted on a different server "somewhere" that I would be paying for.

I will see if there is a way to have this "link" somehow closely associated with the product description so customers can easily find and download it.

If the brochure link is on a completely different place than the item, that is obviously less helpful for the customer.  Might be sufficient.

Perhaps I am used to purchasing more technical items vs clothing and coffee, but the items that I purchase all have data sheets and brochures that can be downloaded.  Even the operating manual.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

@WirlNet I can think of 2 options.

1. You can set up a page and upload and have links to all of the downloads. (not easiest or cleanest but preserves functionality of square catalog syncing).

2.  You can go to the item page and find "Want to style your description with bold, italics, or bullets? Unsync your item description in sync settings."  you can then unsync the catalog with the point of sale which will open up the ability to have hyperlinks to download pdf's etc in each items description.  You do this under the online store dashboard.  The caveat is if you use the point of sale the inventories do not sync.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 11

Is there any way to allow PDFs to be uploaded into the product photos area?   Then at least they could view them that way.

Message 3 of 11

For method #1 - where would this page of links and PDF down loadable files reside?

On another site?

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller

@WirlNet If you look up pdf to jpg converter there are several sites that will let you upload your pdf and will convert it to a graphics file for free.  I have done this on occasion and you could just add it as extra photos on the site.  I am not sure about the readability or file sizes but it is a great idea!

#2 Square allows you to upload files for use on the site.  It is in the editor for the site itself.  you can add a section to the page and embed a pdf file.  The file can't be larger than 50mb so make sure to have your pdfs compact for web.  But you could build a new page embed your pdfs and add that page as a link in the header or footer etc. and link to that page.

Hope this helps but I like your idea #1.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 11

In the past I had thought about the PDF to JPG converter as a way to "post" it like a photo.

The customer needs to be able to download this and use the information off line.

For instance - as an attachment to their internal email for discussion / processing.

I have a 40 inch computer screen now.  Not sure how readable a multi page PDF - converted to a .jpg would be.   Especially after going through the square site "auto photo editing / truncation" process. 

I completely understand why this is done, but it also makes it difficult to predict what a photo or document would look like.

It seems like an alternative path is required.

Message 6 of 11

Is there a way to make the PDF brochure a "digital product" that the customer can "purchase" at zero cost and instantly download it directly from the square site?

Message 7 of 11
Alumni

Unfortunately not, selling items for $0 dollars is not doable with Square online. 

@WirlNet

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 11

Skipping for the moment the price question - is it technically possible to have the customer directly download the PDF file or do they have to receive it in an email?

The reason that I ask is that some are not allowed to receive email PDFs due to internet security features.  They can only directly download from a recognized secure site.

Message 9 of 11
Square Community Moderator

@WirlNet You could make a file link and add that to the site somewhere, although anyone would have access to it so you may want to consider how accessible this form is. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 11

Best Answer

It is a "brochure", so it is intended for potential customers to be able to download.

The information is the same as the item description, really just a PDF of the description plus photos in one document.

I guess this means that there isn't a way to store this info on the site for download in the same way that a photo of the item is stored on square?  It would be stored / hosted on a different server "somewhere" that I would be paying for.

I will see if there is a way to have this "link" somehow closely associated with the product description so customers can easily find and download it.

If the brochure link is on a completely different place than the item, that is obviously less helpful for the customer.  Might be sufficient.

Perhaps I am used to purchasing more technical items vs clothing and coffee, but the items that I purchase all have data sheets and brochures that can be downloaded.  Even the operating manual.

Message 11 of 11