x

Where does a customer enter a coupon code when paying using a Square Online checkout link?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Where does a customer enter a discount code during online checkout?

I have a single item available for online purchase with a dedicated Square Online checkout link and can’t find where the customer will enter the discount code I created. I’m sure it’s simple and I’m just missing it. Thank you!

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @amialamb78 - and welcome to the Seller Community!

Jumping in to let you know that your customers will only see the option to use a coupon code on a checkout link if you created a Sell an item checkout link - this option will not appear if you are using the Collect a payment or Accept a donation options.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 2.48.46 PM.png

See this post for a visual of the 3 checkout link types, learn all about checkout links on this support page, and let me know if questions come up about this 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Square Community Moderator

Hey!! Thanks for reaching out! This is a great question - however; the reason you are not able to get this to work is because they are not currently supported for checkout links. It's a big feature request our engineers have on their radar, but we don't know when it will be released. 

Check out some more details on checkout links in this Support Article when you get a chance!

AshleyK
Message 2 of 20

I created a discount code but it only works when checking out on my phone. How can I get the code to work at checkout in my online store?

Message 3 of 20

Hi @thinkeatbewell and welcome to the Community!

That's odd because if it shows on one device it should show on another as well.

Did you ever end up figuring this out or are you still experiencing this?

Ashley C
Message 4 of 20

Hi @ashc ! Thank you for responding. I am still experiencing this. When I check out via a link (sent to email, for example), the promo/discount code option isn't visible. 

Message 5 of 20

@thinkeatbewell Ah sorry I just noticed you said promo code and not coupon code!

So the reason this is occurring is because at this time promo codes don't carry over into our Online Store.

You'll need to go into your Online Store and locate > Items Coupons to set up a coupon code for online orders that you can offer to your customers. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 20

@ashc Let me explain a little more. So I've integrated Square to my Mailchimp. I've created a 'payment' button on a campaign in Mailchimp to connect to a product in my Square store I'm selling. When I select the payment button on my campaign, it takes me to a checkout where there is no discount code option available to be typed in. 

I've created a discount code in Square. 

Message 7 of 20

@thinkeatbewell Ah I gotcha. 

With MailChimp being a third party I would probably recommend reaching out to them about this to see what the issue could be since we don't directly work with them but they are a partner.

Let me know what they say as well in case other sellers are having this issue you can post it here for them to see.

Ashley C
Message 8 of 20

@ashc Ok will do! Thank you!

Message 9 of 20

Thank you @thinkeatbewell!

Ashley C
Message 10 of 20

I have a similar issue, where I have my own website created and use Square Online Links for customers to purchase items. When they click on the Square link for the item and go to checkout, there is no option to enter a promo code, only an option for a gift card. Can you help with this, since the checkout is still the Square app?

Message 11 of 20

Hey @lrtownsend!

Sorry for the confusion here. So as mentioned above the promo codes from Point of Sale don't translate to the Online Store.

Promos are called Coupons in the Online Store and you'll want to create and enable them on your Online Store editor page. 

Ashley C
Message 12 of 20

I have the item in my items.  I have the coupon in my coupons and indicated as applicable to that item.  I can create a checkout link for the item.  When the customer clicks the link for the item, there isn't an option to enter the coupon code.  Please help!

Message 13 of 20

Hey @amialamb78

Sorry to hear this is going on. Can you please send over the link so we can take a look at it? 

I'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 14 of 20

Here's my checkout link

https://t.co/zOFplNYGjg?amp=1

Message 15 of 20

Message 16 of 20
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi there @amialamb78 - and welcome to the Seller Community!

Jumping in to let you know that your customers will only see the option to use a coupon code on a checkout link if you created a Sell an item checkout link - this option will not appear if you are using the Collect a payment or Accept a donation options.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 2.48.46 PM.png

See this post for a visual of the 3 checkout link types, learn all about checkout links on this support page, and let me know if questions come up about this 

Valentina
Message 17 of 20

Thank you!  That worked.  First time I was able to resolve an issue with Square.  You rock!

Message 18 of 20

Where do I find my coupon code link (to add to email marketing) after Ive created the coupon. I don't see any options.

Message 19 of 20
Alumni

There isn't a link to generate for a coupon code. You'll need to add the code to your email campaign. Are you trying to find the checkout link? 

@Asruth

Justin
Message 20 of 20