x

Putting a hold on a credit card

Does anyone know how to or if it is possible to put a hold on someone’s credit card?
specifically, I am doing remote, rental property showings, and I am trying to put a hold on applicants credit cards while they have the key. Thank you 

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hi @GNFSRentals.  At this time, there is nothing in Square that allows you to do holds or pre-authorizations to customer cards. This is a much-discussed topic in many other threads, and I don’t think anyone disagrees that it should way up the list of features that are being designed and developed so that beta testers can test it in the “real world.”  Before answering your question, I looked at a few other popular threads on this subject and found nothing to tell me that it is either being worked on, or is close.

I’d normally recommend that you submit a feature request to Square.  However, there are a half-dozen of those requesting the same thing.  I will recommend, however, that you don’t take the “easy” way and charge their card followed by a refund/return when the key is returned.  This might ultimately cause your account to be flagged for excessive refunds/suspicious activity, which is not a good thing.  

If you want to submit yet another feature request to Square, you can do it on this suggestion board.  And, of course, if you search this board you’ll see one or two existing suggestions on the same subject, with LOTS of back and forth between sellers and Square.

I’m sorry to not be able to help you more.  Maybe we will all be surprised soon and hear that Square is finally beta testing such a feature.  But if they are, I haven’t gotten the memo yet.  

Best wishes,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hi @GNFSRentals.  At this time, there is nothing in Square that allows you to do holds or pre-authorizations to customer cards. This is a much-discussed topic in many other threads, and I don’t think anyone disagrees that it should way up the list of features that are being designed and developed so that beta testers can test it in the “real world.”  Before answering your question, I looked at a few other popular threads on this subject and found nothing to tell me that it is either being worked on, or is close.

I’d normally recommend that you submit a feature request to Square.  However, there are a half-dozen of those requesting the same thing.  I will recommend, however, that you don’t take the “easy” way and charge their card followed by a refund/return when the key is returned.  This might ultimately cause your account to be flagged for excessive refunds/suspicious activity, which is not a good thing.  

If you want to submit yet another feature request to Square, you can do it on this suggestion board.  And, of course, if you search this board you’ll see one or two existing suggestions on the same subject, with LOTS of back and forth between sellers and Square.

I’m sorry to not be able to help you more.  Maybe we will all be surprised soon and hear that Square is finally beta testing such a feature.  But if they are, I haven’t gotten the memo yet.  

Best wishes,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”
Message 2 of 3

Hi Chip,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to spell that out clearly. And your suggestion about not taking the “easy” way out was excellent advice as well. I certainly don’t want to get into any trouble. Thank you very much!  If I’m ever in Covington I’ll be sure to treat my family to your services. Thank you again. 

Sammy Lopez

G&FS Rentals

Message 3 of 3