x
Alumni

Quantity-Based Auto Apply Discounts Beta is live!

We are excited to announce that discounts based on the quantity purchased like Buy One Get One are available for Beta testing. When qualifying items are added to an order, your discounts will apply automatically. 

To join the beta, you will need to do two things: 

1. Make sure you have Square version 5.17 (settings > support > about) ( Use TestFlight and follow the instructions to download the beta app on iOS or Android
  2. Comment in this thread so we can turn on the feature for you. Once we message back that you’re good to go, you can create your discounts in your Square Dashboard. 
  • Coming soon to Square Register, Square Terminal, and Square for Retail. Auto apply discounts are not yet available for Virtual Terminal Itemized sales, Appointments, or Invoices. 

In the beta, you can create different types of quantity based discounts: 

• Exact Purchase Quantity
  • Minimum Purchase Quantity
  • Buy X Get Y

Sample BOGO Offer SetupSample BOGO Offer Setup

There is always some risk of discovering a problem in a beta program, so you may want to start small before rolling it out across your business. If you do encounter an issue, our recommendation is to fall back to the 5.16 production application and reach out via this thread so we can turn off the feature flag. Note that your quantity-based auto apply discounts will no longer apply. 

Update 7/18 - the minimum Square Point of Sale app version is available in the app store

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Super Seller Alumni

Amazing! This is going to make a lot of sellers very happy!

Thanks for all the hard work on this!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 29
Beta Member

Perfect timing!  Definitely looking forward to this rolling out soon! thank you!

Message 3 of 29
Beta Member

This is a much anticipated tool for my business! Count me in please!

Message 4 of 29
Beta Member

This sounds great,  does it also allow you to have the discounts auto apply only to specific customer groups?

Message 5 of 29
Alumni

Not at this time. You're not alone in looking for this feature, and I'm tracking the requests. If you're up for talking about how you think about grouping customers, I'd love to hear more. 

Message 6 of 29
Beta Member

Hi, I'd love to try it out...can you please activate it for me?

Message 7 of 29
Alumni

Done!

Message 8 of 29
Super Seller

I know this is a Beta and a great feature to add.  My question is I see at the bottom "only one discount applies"  for the full blown release cold this be eliminated or bypassed by a check box?  I have a candle shop, and our 16 oz jars are basically $12 or 2 for $20    .... 4 for $40 etc   but 5 would be 1 at $12 and 4 for $40.   plus since the candles do not have to be the same scent this could be an inventory nightmare if it did not track the scents in the transaction.  

Would this scenario be available for the full release?

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 9 of 29
Alumni

Hi @Candlestore! In your example, you can add all of the qualifying candles and scents to the discount (items behave as "or" - buy scent A, or B, or C to get the savings).

Our pricing engine will evaluate the cart and apply the best discount for the buyer; so in the case that someone adds 5 candles, the 4 for $40 should be the discount that applies assuming it is the best discount. 

To set this up, I would set an $8 discount (this will get me to the $40 price point  auto apply based on Quantity, set the quantity to 4, select all of my qualifying 16 oz scents, and then set a discount rule of Exact Quantity. Let me know if that's not what you're looking to do!

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.59.13 AM.png

Message 10 of 29
Super Seller

Tested this and it is working the way I wanted it to.

Just took 2 minutes to figure out.

Now I have 3 of these discounts set up and working.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 11 of 29
Beta Member

I've been using this beta feature for a couple of weeks now. I have several items in my retail store that are on a daily special - buy two get one free, buy two get one 40% off, buy five get one free, and buy one get one 20% off - and so far it is working perfectly.

Soon, I will be testing the day and time function where I will define a Happy Hour type discount where a BOGO-type discount will apply on a specific day during specific hours for specific products...

Message 12 of 29

Please turn this feature on for me.

Thanks~!

Message 13 of 29
Alumni

You're on @sweetsurprises

Message 14 of 29
Super Seller

I am currently a member of the beta program and run the square for Retail beta in my store. Is this currently available in the beta app or can it please be turned on for me if not

Message 15 of 29
Alumni

I turned on the feature flag for you @homeprogreen. You'll see the option to create auto apply discounts in the Dashboard, and they will apply automatically to qualifying orders in your Square for Retail app. (it will work in the beta app too). Happy to hear feedback!

Message 16 of 29
Beta Member

@elaine_p can you please turn this feature on for me?

Message 17 of 29
Admin

Hey @mjain! I've just shared you request with the team and we'll reply here to let you know when you can use this beta feature. Thanks for your patience! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 29
Admin

@mjain You should be all set now! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 19 of 29
Beta Member

I ran across my first little issue with BOGO discounting.

I decided to run a BOGO discount on a specific category of items with a scheduled date. The discount details were:

Buy 2 items from the specified category, then get 1 item from the same specified category free. 

When selecting the Set Discount Rule, I selected the 3rd option which reads: "Buy One Get One - Example: Buy 2 items, apply discount to 1 additional item of equal or lesser value, best for buyer."

discountrule.png

This statement seems a little contradictory. It can't be equal or lesser value AND be the best discount for the buyer at the same time. 

The items in this category have various prices. My goal was to have the item with the smallest price be discounted as 100%.

To test the discount, I scanned in items at $4.50, $7.25, and $15.00 and no matter which order I scanned the items in, Square kept discounting the $15.00 item.

At the very least, there should be an option to select whether the lowest or highest priced item gets discounted. It's been my experience that the item with the lowest price is the item that gets the discount and if that isn't going to be the default discount rule, then I need to be able to have the option to select otherwise.

Message 20 of 29
Square

Hi Wendy!

We've gotten some good feedback on our initial BOGO implementation, and are refining the behavior around BOGOs to implement an "equal or lesser value" constraint.  That means that there will be a change of behavior between the beta and the GA of the feature, scheduled for later this year.

We are continuing to open the other volume discount features to new beta users, and will be launching them to all sellers by default soon.  Sorry for the inconsistencies in messaging, as it appears the text update for BOGO was pushed prior to the planned upcoming changes to put in the equal or lesser value constraint. Thank you for being willing to participate in our beta and letting us know that we introduced the inconsistent messaging.

Message 21 of 29