x

Reasons Square Reported Cash Doesn't Match Bank Deposits

Hi there - is there any other reasons why my cash deposits are consistently 6.5-10% less than what Square shows I take in? I"m hoping there is not theft going on. Looking for any suggestions such as error when taking cash in on the register, anything else I'm not aware of? Sweating over here! Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

@bktb25 A little more information is needed.  You are saying your cash deposits are lower than what Square shows.  

A) Does this mean you sold Items for Cash, and Square reports a cash sale of $100 but only $90 -$93 makes it to your bank?

B) Do you mean your deposit from Square is not match what your bank deposit shows?

If A) then that would be theft since Square only deposits Credit Card charges to your bank.

If B) then did you subtract discounts, Square Fees, also are you taking an Instant Transfer from Square which also has some fees which will have your deposit lower?

If you go here:https://squareup.com/dashboard/balances and then click on your daily balance then choose View All Transfers, select a date and it will show you the fees and break down of your deposit for a date.  I am not sure if this is the date of transaction or the date the deposit was made, compare the dates with your bank records. Again this is only for your credit card receipts.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 7

Thanks, Keith. I will specify more.

Say for the month of March, Square says I brought in $10,000 in cash.
When reviewing my Quickbooks synced with my business checking, I only show $7,000 in cash deposited.

That's a difference of $3,000 in cash.

With minimal cash errors in each drawer, we were over $10.03 for the month

I did the math:

TOTAL SALES (cash & card)
- (minus) Sales Tax
- (minus) Fees
- (minus) Square Capital payments

This left me with, just a number for example, a $1,750 difference in monthly income vs the $3,000 that QB shows in comparison with Square.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

@bktb25 ,

If you go here on your Square Dashboard:

sales-summary 

This will bring up your sales Summary for the time period you specify.  If you scroll down to payments you will see:

Total Collected - This is the total amount you collected through Square

Cash - actual Cash sales

Card - Total Credit card sales

Gift Card - Gift Cards that were used

Other - Check Money order for example that does not fall into the above categories.

So when you say Cash Sales do you mean Cash or the Total collected for the month?

Because from this quote of yours:

"Say for the month of March, Square says I brought in $10,000 in cash.
When reviewing my Quickbooks synced with my business checking, I only show $7,000 in cash deposited.

That's a difference of $3,000 in cash."

This would mean to me that your cash drawer is missing $3000. meaning you sold items and received a cash payment but the cash never made it to your bank.  This would not be Squares fault but that someone is taking cash out of your drawer and pocketing it.  

Square deposits all funds from Credit card sales minus their fees.

If your numbers look like this , then the cash was not deposited from your cash drawer.
Payments                            Total Collected     $10,000
                                                            Cash       $3,000
                                                            Card        $7,000
                                                     Gift Card          $0.00
                                                           Other          $0.00
                                                            Fees      ($250.00)
                                                     Net Total      $9750.00

Your deposit from Square would be Card 7,000  -  Fees 250.00 =  6,750.00

This is why you might be confusing us as Saying Cash sales were $10,000 and $3000 was missing, cash sales do not go through Square except to show on reports there are no fees for a cash sale either.

Now if they look like this:

Payments                            Total Collected     $10,000
                                                            Cash       $0.00
                                                            Card       $10,000
                                                     Gift Card          $0.00
                                                           Other          $0.00
                                                            Fees     ($3,000.00)
                                                     Net Total         $7,000
This would be a problem!!!

Since I do not know what you are paying on your Square Loan or how to see a Square loan payment Schedule, that could be where the difference is also since I know Square Loans take a % of your net daily Credit Card sales as a payment.  So if you have no Credit Card Sales your loan payment for that day is $0.00, but for the month your payment varies by the % net deposit to you.  Meaning say in February you had $20,000 credit card sales you may have paid in towards the loan $6000, ie double your March payment since you only did $10,000 in Credit card sales and $3000.00 went to the loan. 

The last thing is, how are you importing your Sales to Quickbooks?  Do all cash sales get imported too?  Is your Loan automatically deducted too?  Are you manually entering them?  Are the Square Fees being calculated and entered in QuickBooks?  This could be a source of the problem also.  I am not sure what Square automatically enters in to QuickBooks but i have read that it only imports this or that and not enough information.  This missing information could be your issue too.
Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

@bktb25 For your deposits into the bank, do you take the cash to the bank each day or each week yourself?  What is your procedure for taking cash/currency deposits to your bank?

You should be able to do a pretty quick audit to see what you are missing:

Deposits in your bank for the month (from your statement) should = cash deposits + square deposits (Credit Card transactions - fees - square capital deductions).  The thing I would look at first is to make sure that your deposit tickets each day you take cash to the bank should equal the cash shown on the report.  Just cash and remove square from the equation.

I would look at all your "counter" deposits and work back from there.  Can I ask what is your daily deposit system/procedure?  Where does the cash go in the drawer after you balance it out at the end of the day?

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

@bktb25 If you are talking about true cash you take in, which report are you looking at and are you looking at gross sales, net sales, or total collected?

Total collected should be Cash + Cards + Other Tenders (cash app, gift cards, etc.).  Gross sales does not include sales taxes in the reporting only total collected.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, Donnie. I'm looking at the bottom of the report where it says "Payments", and how much of the monthly total was taken in Cash.

I take sales tax out of the bank account after it's deposited.

Message 7 of 7