x
Alumni

Recommendations for Setting up your Square Loyalty Program

Selecting the right Loyalty program for your business is critical for success. We have listed a few core principles below to help you create a successful Loyalty program. 

Overview

Consider the following factors when determining the program that will work best for your business:

• Your business’ average transaction size
  • How often your customers return to your business and
  • How long it takes them to do so

There are a few core principles to follow when creating a successful Loyalty program:

• Most transactions qualify for a star - We recommend at least 80% of your transactions be eligible for a star. We see some sellers prefer to set strict rules for earning a star in order to incentivize customers to purchase more. However, our data suggests that doing so actually discourages customers from becoming engaged in your Loyalty program and creates a negative perception.

• Customers can earn a reward in a timely manner - We suggest settings with which loyal customers earn a reward within 30 days of enrolling. Longer than that, we find buyers are more likely to forget they’re enrolled in a Loyalty program, and thus don’t make a point to return to the business. 

• Offer a meaningful reward - Our research indicates that customers have greater satisfaction and are more likely to continue engaging a Loyalty program if the reward is worth at least 50% of your average ticket value, and 10% of what they spent to earn the reward. Your customers have expressed their loyalty for your business, why not make the reward for doing so worth it?

Below we explain how to use these principles in action.

Visit Programs

Visit-based programs are best if your customers visit your business at least once per week. We often see this in businesses with low-priced items.

You can use this equation to determine the values needed to reward your customers in a timely fashion:

Average customer return time (Days) x (Number of stars required to earn a reward - 1) = Time to Reward.

For example, a cafe wants to reward their customers after earning 5 stars. Their customers return every 3 days. Their time to reward (upon enrolling and getting their first star) is 12 days.

Spend Programs

Spend-based programs are best if your customers visit your business once a month, or even less frequently. This usually includes businesses with high-priced items, luxury services, or very long sales cycles.

You can use this equation to determine the values needed to reward your customers in a timely fashion:

Average customer return time (days) x (Purchase requirement to earn a star x (Number of stars required to earn a reward Stars to reward - 1) )/Average transaction size = Time to Reward

For example, a salon would like to reward clients for spending $100 or more on services. Their clients come in every 2 months for styling, and spend $75 per visit on average.  The salon might consider a 4-star program where clients earn a star every $25 spent.

Item/Category Programs

Item-based programs are best if you have a particular item you’d like to promote, such as a high-margin item or a best-seller. They take longer to set up but can be well worth it if you are conscious of the margin you get out of your digital rewards program.

---

Get started with a free trial of Square Loyalty today.

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
Alumni

Hey @homeprogreen!

If you select the "Specific Items" tab pictured in the screenshot, you'll be able to choose which items you'd like to be eligible for the discount. 👍🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 43 of 56
Beta Member

Hi- I own a coffee shop and have been plotting my switch from paper punch cards to square loyalty. we currently have a Drink Card (stamp for each drink, 10th one is free) and a Bean Card (stamp for each 1/2#, 13th is free). The problem is that people buy 9 small coffees and redeem a free large flavored latte. 

i have our cash register on square divided into 5 different drink categories and 4 different bean categories. so, I am trying to decide how to set up our loyalty program. Would love to hear what other coffee shops are offering??? should i keep it category based or do dollar amount? 

thanks in advance!

Message 44 of 56
Alumni

Hi @cofcof - I've moved your post here since there are lots of other Square Sellers discussing their own loyalty programming. Hopefully, another coffee shop owner (or even someone who has some solid advice with loyalty) can provide some wisdom! 

Good luck! 👍

Message 45 of 56
Super Seller Alumni

Awesome! Best of luck with the switch! Our customers much prefer our square loyalty to the old paper punch cards we used for years!

We definitely had a similar dilemma with our ice cream shop. There are a few things can do:

1. Free item - and choose the items you’d feel good giving (small of any category)

2. Free item in a category - and choose only whichever category you’d feel good giving (only coffee and not lattes)

3. Dollar amount off - like you said. We went for $$ since it gives the customer the freedom to use it on anything they want, but we control how much money we’re giving away. 

Of of course there are many more options, but those seem to be the best!

hope this helps and let me know if you want to talk through it any more!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 46 of 56
Beta Member

How do you control the how much money you're giving to the customer as loyalty points?

I mean.. in my case at the convenience store....  let's say Carton of Cigarettes and 6pack of pepsi.

Price for the carton of cigarette is $100(Washington state) and price for 6 pack pepsi is $5.  However my profit margin(in $$) is same..

Anybody who sells cigarette knows this... 

So I want to be able to control the reward points to give by category.

for example... Cigarette category 1 star for $1.  Pepsi category 5 star for $1 spent.

and let's say when collect 100 stars customers are rewarded with $5 discount in the store.

How can I do this?

Right now I can only set them all at 1 star for $1 spent for all qualifying category/item or nothing.

So when cigarette customers use their points to claim cigarettes, I will basically not make any profit.

Not to mention carton of cigarette customers will be raking up the lots of points so fast, since they are high priced.

Any good suggestions?

Message 47 of 56
Admin

Good news @cornerstore! We're rolling out changes to the Loyalty program that will enable to you to assign a different amount of stars based on the specific item sold or on a specific category.

There's more information about these changes in this Community post: Add multiple rewards, customize your Loyalty terminology and more.

And the steps to customize your Loyalty program are in this Support Center article: Create a Loyalty Program. Keep in mind this is being slowly rolled out over the next 2 weeks so you might not see this option on your account right away.

Of course it's still worth calculating if it's worth your while offering rewards in the first place. Hopefully another seller can share their experience here as well.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 48 of 56

Hi, got a couple of quick questions here regarding the loyalty program. We're most likely going to go with stars that are "Earned by Amount Spent". Our questions:

• Does sales tax count toward the "Amount Spent" count?
  • Do modifers count toward the "Amount Spent" count or is it based only on the base price of items?

I've been scouring the support forum and I was unable to find any information regarding this so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Message 49 of 56
Super Seller

@HPC_Shop Sales tax doesn’t count towards stars and it doesn’t round up totals for stars : I.E you set it so that they earn 1 star for every 20 dollars of purchase. Customer spends 39 dollars so they earn 1 star. Good time to mention it to the customer so they can add an item to get that second star ;-). Also it includes total purchase including modifiers when you set it that way

Message 50 of 56

Thank you for the info!

Message 51 of 56

Similar question: Do tips count toward star count?

Beauty service industry where we charge for the service and a popup screen for tip appears after every transaction. Does that tip count toward the total or is it just the servics(s) selected in the sale. 

Thank you

Message 52 of 56
Admin

Hey @soswax, thanks for surfacing this.

With Loyalty, By Amount Spent reward stars are based on the total amount spent before tax and tip. Hope this helps clear things up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 53 of 56

Thank you @Tom. That's what I was hoping the answer was. 

Message 54 of 56
Admin

Glad to hear it! 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 55 of 56

I believe is absolutely necessery to allow us to export the loyalty data with lifetime points data out of the square to be able to use it. Without such function, it means that if anything happens, my loyalty data is held hostage as I’m unable to change transfer data or research data in excel.

Message 56 of 56