x

Remove "GST Included where applicable" to "No GST has been charged"

I have read the thread https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Online-checkout-GST/td-p/233889 and in particular the reference to

The reason we shows"GST Included where applicable" on checkout is to cover our obligations in Australia, however custom additive taxes or GST amounts can't currently be added to sales via Square Online. GST should be an inclusive tax though rather than one you add on, per guidelines from the ACCC. The solution here would be to change the GST to an inclusive tax. 

As we are a non GST registered business, we find more appropriate to show "No GST has been charged" rather than "GST Included where applicable".

Is this possible - can it be configured anywhere?

Thank you

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @justjaneceramic,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately not at the moment, I think for the same reason we don't presently show a GST breakdown via Square Online order confirmations - noting the absence of a tax amount would require having an overall system that also acknowledges tax amounts to begin with. 

Clearer messaging may be introduced once we build tax compatibility into Square Online for Australia, though by the same token I imagine that this may end up looking like how we handle receipts/tax invoices in the main Square app/dashboard - the lack of a tax is defined by its absence rather than specific messaging noting that there is no tax.

I'll pass your feedback on for consideration though, I can see that having the ability to add your own custom message here (like you can do via Square receipts) would be handy to have for clarity!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @justjaneceramic,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately not at the moment, I think for the same reason we don't presently show a GST breakdown via Square Online order confirmations - noting the absence of a tax amount would require having an overall system that also acknowledges tax amounts to begin with. 

Clearer messaging may be introduced once we build tax compatibility into Square Online for Australia, though by the same token I imagine that this may end up looking like how we handle receipts/tax invoices in the main Square app/dashboard - the lack of a tax is defined by its absence rather than specific messaging noting that there is no tax.

I'll pass your feedback on for consideration though, I can see that having the ability to add your own custom message here (like you can do via Square receipts) would be handy to have for clarity!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 13

Thank you @Seamus 

For our purposes, simply being able to customise the message "GST Included where applicable" would be sufficient.

Please note that the GST message appears in both the checkout screen and emails sent to customers, and cannot be modified in either place.

Checkout page:

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 1.27.55 pm.png

Confirmation email:

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 1.27.35 pm.png

Message 3 of 13

Hi Seamus,

I hope that you can help me with a related query.

I am currently collecting GST on all my invoices and I have added GST (10%) under "Sales Taxes".

This now applies to all of my "Items" in my Item Library.

However, I find that my email invoices to my clients has a line at the very bottom that reads "No GST has been charged". This is not correct as I HAVE included GST in all my items and on all my invoices (please see screenshot attached below).

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.04.37 pm.png

Can you please advise me how to remove this line from my invoice template?

I have checked the template setting and the Sales Tax settings and I cannot seem to find a place to change this. 

Many thanks! 

Emma

Message 4 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @EmmaP,

Thanks for writing in to our community. I noticed it's your first post, welcome👋 🙂

This definitely looks a bit odd! I've just sent out some test invoices with items that have GST applied, and this is what it should look like:

In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team, who'll be able to look into your settings with you a bit further to troubleshoot alongside you- unfortunately this isn't something we can view via the forum. You can reach the team on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm AEST) or contact us via online chat or email:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Go to "Other"" then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us" or "Email us"

Please let us know how you go!

Message 5 of 13

Thanks for investigating that Arie, I will get in touch with them as it seems a bit fishy to me! 

I feel that I may have set something up incorrectly and that is why it's autofilling with that GST message at the bottom. 

I have sent them an email and hope to have this revolved and an answer to you guys all soon! 

Cheers, Emma 

Message 6 of 13

What is the outcome with this issue? I am facing the same issue. Please help.

Message 7 of 13

Hi @Onelove007,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to our community!

Sorry to hear you're about the trouble. Are you using Square Invoices, or Square online? 

Message 8 of 13

I am using both Square Invoices and Square online.

Message 9 of 13

At this time, only Invoices will display GST @Onelove007. We're currently working on taxes syncing between the point of sale, and Square Online. The workaround here is to send a receipt via the transactions tab in your Dashboard. We'll keep you in the loop with any updates in this thread. 

Message 10 of 13

Has there been any update to this? We suffer from the same issue.

Message 11 of 13

Hi @HillvalePhoto,

Thanks for checking in on an update here.

Since our last update on this thread, we haven't made further progress on implementing taxes with Square Online. However, I want to assure you that this is still on our radar. The current hold-ups are due to the strict regulations and guidelines set by card schemes and regulatory bodies concerning the ability to sync in-person and online taxes.

We're actively tracking this with our team, and once we have an update to share, we'll make sure to communicate it publicly to all Australian Square sellers.

In the meantime, if we're able to assist you with anything else, don't hesitate to let us know!

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 12 of 13

Hey Laurie,

I can see it's been almost 3 years since the last conversation about this, so I don't really hold much hope of a resolution. 

It's terribly confusing for our customers to see they have both been charged for GST and not charged for GST in an invoice. And the proposed workaround stated above by Arie on the 12-05-2021 doesn't work for us. Is it that hard to remove the line 'No GST has been charged' from the back end of your system? Or at least to include the option to remove the line? 

Is there someone else I can speak to about this? Calling your customer service line yields no better result. Thanks.

Message 13 of 13