x
Super Seller

Request: have online store customer address default to correct country in Payment form

Can the online store checkout address fields in 'Payment' be set to use the country selected when the customer initially enters their phone number (this step is done before reaching the address fields, so country could be updated dynamically once phone number is set)

Currently the default location for a customer is the US. Therefore, one the earliest inputs a customer hits during Payment is 'Zipcode', which doesn't work for Australian postcodes. The option to select country is much further down the form. Once a customer sets that to Australia they have to scroll back up and correct the postcode entry.

The country set by customer for their phone is carried through to Payment but the address default doesn't reflect this. 

Thanks, stay safe.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Smithward and thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed example of what you are looking for - this helps our Development Team understand exactly what you are looking for and the impact it has on you and your customers. 

At this time, this is not something we are able to customize, but I will be sure to share this with our team for feedback. Thank you!!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

This is something that I wold also like to request as I have lost customers over this issue. I have been asked where are you based a few times since I have moved to Square.

People in the UK are worries about passing personal data to the US due to GDPR.

Ensuring that the checkout fields match the country of origin especially for our small craft business and this throws doubt to the customers.

Many thanks  

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hey @MarinaCraftsTor,

Thanks for reaching out!

This is a common and understandable feature request we're hearing in Australia, and are passing on feedback we hear about it to our eCommerce team. I'll highlight your case with them as well - hopefully this is something we are able to change in the future!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

What a load of BS. This has been very well requested in the past (prior to this new 'community' forum โ€” no idea why we need another one). The fact that it hasn't got the same following here on the new platform doesn't make it a non-issue. Why can't this be resolved? What other features are you working on? Anything of real value?

Or maybe ... the actual reason is that for Square/Weebly, customers outside the US just aren't seen as important.

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Hey @Remi,

We're happy to listen to your feedback and hear what features you're looking for most in the product, but I do ask that you maintain a polite and courteous approach to discussion on our Community forum. If you've not already seen them take a look over our Community Guidelines for more!

I understand that it can be frustrating not to see product features you want the most and I get it. As an Australian I also prefer Australian web stores I visit to default to Australian checkout fields. Our team here have been providing this feedback loud and clear and will continue to advocate for it.

At any given time we have hundreds, if not thousands of feature requests on the go for all sorts of things, and have product teams to take all those requests and weigh up things like how easy a feature is to integrate, how many sellers it will impact, how much work is required to deliver the feature, how beneficial the new feature is, the relative importance of a given features vs hundreds of others, etc etc.

We don't reveal our development road-map publicly and things can change while they're in development, but we do listen to feedback and pass it on to our product teams, who in turn also monitor these forums to gauge interest.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but hopefully it provides some more context into how features are developed.

All the best!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

It's interesting you say you have hundreds, if not thousands of feature requests on the go. Exactly what platform are these features being submitted through? From the channels we see, there's nowhere near hundreds ... let alone thousands of feature requests being made.

Here is a smile for added politeness ๐Ÿ˜Š

Message 7 of 9
Admin

Hey @Remi,

We track and tag all phone and email contacts, which drives the bulk of data we collect on merchant contacts. We also track requests made via this forum and social media channels, and I'm sure there are other areas of the business that have their own ways of collating data.

I'm not able to go much further into how this all works on a business operational level, but thank you for the feedback!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

So if I call with a feature request it gets precedence? Really interesting that a single user can outweigh a so called product centric "community"

Message 9 of 9