x
Beta Member

Resolved.

We received a notification this morning that we are "pending deactivation" specifically citing Section 3 of General Terms and Payment Terms. We have reviewed these extensively and haven't broken any of them.

Has anybody had an experience with a mistaken deactivation before?
Right now we're just very confused and to be quite honest, very scared.

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I reached out to Account Services who reviewed your account. Your account is now active and no longer pending deactivation. To be honest Account Services does not provide us with any information about what caused this in the first place, otherwise, I would provide more insight if I had it. Sorry about all this confusion and uneasiness. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

HI, if a link was provided do not click it.  It may be a phishing email.  You can review the General Terms and Payment Terms here.

https://squareup.com/us/en/legal/general/ua

https://squareup.com/us/en/legal/general/payment

You can try to contact Customer Support with this link.  Monday to Friday, 6:00am-6:00pm PST.

Contact Customer Support

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact?panel=FAB456B04971&skip_unit_select=true

You will get a few options to contact, click Call Us, a new browser window will open with phone number and customer code.

You must be logged into your account and is best on a laptop or desktop.  Phone app sometimes displays unavailable at times.

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 2 of 16
Beta Member

No link and we have reviewed those sections extensively and have broken none of them. We have had six Square Capital Loans as well and show in Good standing on all account reviews. We haven't changed or added anything since we opened in 2020. This is absolutely horrifying as a business operator that we could be in this position.

Message 3 of 16
Super Seller

@thehealingplant Are you a medical marijuana dispensary?  What state are you located in?  I did a cursory search and the only thing I saw was Florida.

If you are medical marijuana, then you may have run afoul of "Square does not allow any sellers to sell marijuana, marijuana derived products, products that contain more than 0.3% THC, illegal drugs, and products that otherwise violate Square’s Payment Terms (e.g. kratom, kava, paraphernalia, bongs, pipes, etc.)."

The only thing square allows is CBD sales, and they have a special program just for CBD sales.

While some things may not be illegal in your state, square has quite a few things they do not allow as a company (i.e. debt collectors, firearm sales, etc.).

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 16
Beta Member

Hi @Donnie-M Thank you for your response. No, we are a physicians office. We sell NO products of ANY kind, CBD or otherwise and our physician is fully licensed under both Florida and Federal Laws.

Message 5 of 16

Hello there @thehealingplant,

Thank you for reaching out. We know being deactivated out of the blue can be incredibly frustrating. I just want to confirm is this your website? https://www.thehealingplant.net/. If so it does display that you are a medical marijuana clinic. Unfortunately at this time, we cannot support that on our platform. 

Message 6 of 16
Beta Member

Respectfully, Square has been working with us since 2020 without issue. I also see nowhere under terms of service that this would be an issue given that we are neither illegal nor product based nor a "pharmacy referral service." Also, this makes no sense given how many Square Capital Loans have been given to us, meaning that we have been reviewed each time. None of these things add up.

Message 7 of 16
Super Seller

@thehealingplant I think that you could be legal as long as none of the sales you are transacting are actually for marijuana or the marijuana products.  I think this is how I would argue this if it comes up to that issue.

If you are only a physician's where the provider is licensed only providing Rx that are then taken to another separate licensed facility/pharmacy, I think you have a great argument that you are within the terms of service.

However, if you sell anything related to smoking anything then it is a very difficult argument to make that a bong can't be used to smoke illegal substances and thus would be a violation of the TOS.

I think a good analogy would be like speeding down your street, and you pass a cop 100 times...the 101st he pulls you over and you get a ticket.  It is a persuasive argument that you thought it was OK to go that fast, but it doesn't change the fact that you committed a traffic infraction.  The onus is then on the court to decide whether to let it go or enforce the statute strictly.

You might want to put that on your site that you don't physically sell the products and that might go a long way to satisfy the powers that be.  But, even if medical marijuana is "legal" by Florida Statute, it is not "legal" by federal statute.

*Edit* I read above that the review got done, and am very happy for you!!!!  I try to always look at things from all sides to help people understand the "why" behind the question and maybe how it ended up like this!  I also wish you the best!

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 8 of 16
Beta Member

Just wanted to thank you for the time for your incredibly thoughtful and well thought out response @Donnie-M ! We are grateful for the assistance and prompt response from everyone here. It's genuinely touching 🙂 Thank you again.

Message 9 of 16

Also yes sorry @Donnie-M didn't mean to overlook you, it has been a long day. Cannot thank you enough for offering your insights and help always! 

Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

The notification has disappeared from our account notifications (not cleared on any device.)

Message 11 of 16

Best Answer

I reached out to Account Services who reviewed your account. Your account is now active and no longer pending deactivation. To be honest Account Services does not provide us with any information about what caused this in the first place, otherwise, I would provide more insight if I had it. Sorry about all this confusion and uneasiness. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

Thank you @MayaP . I’m so gracious for the response and effort. This actually, as much as it made me scared, made me have more faith than ever in Square and it’s community. Thank you again 🙂 

Message 13 of 16

Glad I could help @thehealingplant and we were able to get this sorted out! 

Message 14 of 16

I'm having a similar issue. I've a fresh thread on it.

Message 15 of 16

My account was deactivated by Square last week, due to "transaction types prohibited by Section 35 of the Payment Terms."  However, all of my Square transactions are real sales and don’t break any laws, nor have I had any customer disputes.  I am an interior designer and all of my charges are with one client and I have receipts and invoices for all sales. I wrote an email asking them to reinstate my account and have received no response. When I call I get an automated person telling me my account was deactivated but not why and to send an email. I don’t seem to have any further recourse. How do I get someone on the phone or at least respond to my email and get my account reactivated? 

Message 16 of 16