x

Samsung J2 Pro not pairing

Up until now my Samsung J2 Pro has been fine with the square, now it isn't.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software and the pairing doesn't work.

Clearly the phone can see the square as it displays the last 4 digits of the S/N when it's trying to pair, then it spews up all over itself and doesn't pair.

What's going on with it?

Thanks for any assistance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Hi @Feckit,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your reader.

The Samsung J2 is actually not a device tested as supported by Square. Whilst you may have been able to use this device previously to process transactions using your Square reader, our mobile security team are constantly refining our software in order to maintain strict security standards on our platform. I understand this is frustrating, however we are required to update our software from time to time to ensure it’s secure for our sellers, and your customers.

To view which Android-based devices are compatible with our hardware, please visit our compatibility page to see that Android devices that we can guarantee will work.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9

Compatibility page appears to be saying that J2Pro compatible with Android 5 or better. Mine has Android 7.1.1 but still not pairing. Is there something in my phone settings that is wrong ? I notice for example that in settings my phone number is given as 'unknown'.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hey @jrbraby,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting the reader! Are you seeing any specific error messages? Are you making sure to connect the reader via the Square app, rather than the bluetooth settings on your phone?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 9

Hi Seamus,

Can you please confirm that the Samsung J2 Pro is still not supported by Square?

Many thanks,

Pam

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Hey @MRCC,

Thanks for reaching out! The J2 is not tested as compatible with Square.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 9

Hi , I'm having same problem with my Samsung J2 Pro. Worked with square a year ago, but since then it's not pairing. Did you resolve your issue ? Any tips gratefully received ! Thank you.

Message 7 of 9

Sorry mate, no joy.  I ended up buying an S7 off the interwebs.

Message 8 of 9

Thanks for quick reply & comforting news ! Square had sent a new reader but despite saying it's compatible with Sam J2 pro.... obviously it isn't 😒 Cheers.

Message 9 of 9