x

Feature Request: Scan the discount to a transaction from Point of Sale

I work in a retail environment where all our products are scanned into a transaction using the product barcode. There is a lot of scanning and not much touching the iPad screen in regards to choosing items ... much like a grocery store. When I open up "Settings" with my Square POS app, I see the Discounts (aka Coupons) I have set up listed within all the items I have set up. When I want to apply the discount to a transaction I look through the list of items (amongst the 100's of products) and choose the discount item. I know I can set the discount item up in a location with the app that is easier to get to (no scrolling through the items).

How 'bout setting up the POS app so a discount item can have a scannable barcode ... like a coupon at a grocery store. Rather than touching my iPad screen to get to the discount 'button' I would simply scan the discount barcode with my USB or bluetooth scanner. That would save me, and the customer, some time.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

That's a feature that I've been wanting for a long time. It would be great for marketing materials too. 

Message 2 of 16
Square Community Moderator

That would be an awesome feature! I can definitely see how it would help businesses checkout customers with discounts a lot quicker. 

I'll send this over to our Product Team and hopefully it gains some momentum and we can get this on the roadmap. 

Keep an eye out for updates in the future, as we'll be sure to announce if we roll anything like this out. 

Message 3 of 16

Did anyone get back to you about this? It would be an amazing feature. I understand that it could conflict with Square Marketing, but the ability to give out physical coupons would be a great personal touch to help connect with customers.

This would be great for the Loyalty programs as well, because it's hard to ask people for their phone numbers or e-mail addresses sometimes. A lot of people are weary and think that we're trying to invade their privacy or steal their information.

Message 4 of 16

My app feature request in this post was responded to publically in this post. I have not been contacted privately by Square. 

The idea of scanning a coupon offered by the customer or scanning a barcode generated on paper or on a device by the store owner has been around for a long time. It seems a no-brainer to me. It would be such a time saver and it would make me, my store, look more professional.

Hopefully the feature is in the development queue ... somewhere near the top!

Message 5 of 16
Beta Member

Been wanting this for years.  I check back every now and then.
We have a loyalty program for a certain discount percentage and have been wanting to make membership cards with a scanable coupon for a long time.

Message 6 of 16

So this was turned over to product team 4 years ago. Seems like they could have implemented this by now.  Any updates?

Message 7 of 16

Awesome idea. I would be interested in that efficiency save as well!!

Message 8 of 16

Please do something about this. I think its pretty clear that Square needs to have scannable coupons.

Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

Please add me to a list... I use Text Message marketing and and have the ability to send coupon and have a barcode appear when they redeem ... this would be very helpful as a checks & Balances on coupons redeemed and coupons given.

The other way would be to simply allow for users to make an item and give it a Negative price ie... -$5.00  would essentially create a scannable barcode item that would act like a discount.

Message 10 of 16

Thanks for adding your voice here, @Travelingbags. I will be sure to pass this along to our Product Teams.

Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 16

I agree this would be awesome.

i could use it as my loyalty system as the current one does not suit me

also ability to scan loyalty phone number would also be tops

Message 12 of 16

The fact that this feature is missing is ridiculous to put it politely. Barcode coupons have been around for well over 40 freaking years.

The fact that people have been begging for years is way worse. It is an embarrassment to your company that you can not accomplish something so important in a timely fashion and leaves me with little hope that you are a long term fit for my company.

You leave zero incentive any more to use Square now that you have upped your price to that of other companies.

I wont ask or beg. This is a demand situation.

If this feature is not in place in the next 3 months I will be replacing square.

Message 13 of 16
Beta Member

5 years after the original poster and still no update...

Can we get some feedback on this feature?

Example: Yes, they are working on it.   Or  No, they had trouble with coding so it got canceled.

Just give us an update please!   😃 

Message 14 of 16

Agreed - this is a table stake for POS.  It is embarrassing that it is missing. 

Johnny White
Sacred Moon Circle Apothecary
Message 15 of 16

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest and feedback about this feature @johnny_smca I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request.

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16