x
Super Seller

Feature Request: Test Transactions (Training Mode)

I've run into some very odd issues with my Square transactions and now, despite processing refunds I still have a mathematical error in my accounting and it cannot be reconciled.  (Help call confirmed this on Jan 7, 2019.)

REQUEST: Could you please implement a 'Testing' mode where people can just turn off the data and see how things work?  

In another thread, you suggested a workaround of just processing transactions and then refunding them.  This doesn't work well for a few really valid reasons:

• Square still records the transaction as a sale; a refund will adjust the final 'net' dollar amounts but it doesn't clear out the sales counts such as item and category sales (throwing off the actual sales numbers).  The dollar amounts also remain in the 'gross sales' totals and activity reports.

• Due to inexplicable mathematical errors in your software, tips are not removed from sales totals even if the full transaction is refunded.  Hopefully this will be fixed; but now all my 'test' tips are still showing as income and my tax report shows that I owe tax on the tips even though I didn't actually take any in.

ALTERNATE REQUEST: a way to delete 100% of all sales data from an account.  This would allow a new user to do testing on the way their products show up in various sales reports, play with the system, and then start fresh when they go 'live' with real clients.

I spent a fair bit of time setting up the products and all the account settings and the idea of just starting a new account 'because it is free' seems pretty daunting time-wise.  My first week or so will be a total mess and I will have to find a way to reassure my accountant that most if it should be ignored.

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 1 of 41
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Feature Request: Test Transactions (Training Mode)

I've run into some very odd issues with my Square transactions and now, despite processing refunds I still have a mathematical error in my accounting and it cannot be reconciled.  (Help call confirmed this on Jan 7, 2019.)

REQUEST: Could you please implement a 'Testing' mode where people can just turn off the data and see how things work?  

In another thread, you suggested a workaround of just processing transactions and then refunding them.  This doesn't work well for a few really valid reasons:

• Square still records the transaction as a sale; a refund will adjust the final 'net' dollar amounts but it doesn't clear out the sales counts such as item and category sales (throwing off the actual sales numbers).  The dollar amounts also remain in the 'gross sales' totals and activity reports.

• Due to inexplicable mathematical errors in your software, tips are not removed from sales totals even if the full transaction is refunded.  Hopefully this will be fixed; but now all my 'test' tips are still showing as income and my tax report shows that I owe tax on the tips even though I didn't actually take any in.

ALTERNATE REQUEST: a way to delete 100% of all sales data from an account.  This would allow a new user to do testing on the way their products show up in various sales reports, play with the system, and then start fresh when they go 'live' with real clients.

I spent a fair bit of time setting up the products and all the account settings and the idea of just starting a new account 'because it is free' seems pretty daunting time-wise.  My first week or so will be a total mess and I will have to find a way to reassure my accountant that most if it should be ignored.

40 REPLIES 40
Beta Member

I am currently in the process of looking for a new POS system and was very interested in Square. Our current system has a training mode which is extremely helpful with onboarding new employees. Having to "refund" every training transaction would create false accounting data. It would show an increase in returns on days we hired new employees. This may not be a problem for a business that is just starting (you could just not include those days in your data), but for ongoing businesses it would be impossible to discern between training returns and actual returns.

Message 22 of 41

Your concern is, of course, very common.

Despite numerous requests for this feature, Square remains committed to NOT allocate resources to get this done.

If you review posts here, there are no convenient workarounds.

Message 23 of 41

I think this is something that square desperately needs to do ASAP.  I am about to enter a large scale food truck business with upto 5 more employees and we definately need to learn how to do all the transactions with the menu items that I have already created for my account.  With a food truck that can serve upto 600 people in one day Im sure every situation will encure almost immediately.  Please get this issue resolved. Its the end of 2018 and people have been asking since 2016.  So almost 3 years later no headway.  Come on Square.  Get on board with this please.  

Message 24 of 41

Agreed.  I'm not sure that I would recommend the square register without a training mode.

Message 25 of 41

Hi, 

I'm new to square and would also like a training mode.  Has this been implemented yet?

Cheers

FP

Message 26 of 41

You definitely NEED  practice mode

Message 27 of 41
Beta Member

Saw a thread on this but it seems that the thread is now closed and no option is available to  practice.  It's indeed a basic feature that I can't understand how complicated can it be to have this implemented.  I'm new to restaurants and to Square POS so practice will help me understand this awesome  system and see where I could design my POS home page better.

Message 28 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Grannysdrivein- Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread like you mentioned, where other sellers have discussed this feature request and the workarounds they've used. You can always refund or void any test transactions you make while getting used to operating the point of sale.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 41

How are people removing transactions that new employees enter during training?  With a large menu or inventory we can have scores of trial entries for each new trainee.

Are businesses just creating dummy accounts for practice that they then abandon?

Thanks for any new ideas beside the old "just issue refunds" against those entries.

Message 30 of 41
Square

Hi @grechnitz. I've definitely heard this request before, but I don't have an update to offer right now on it's availability. As for a workaround, I've definitely seen sellers create a separate Square account for testing and training, especially since accounts are free to set up. Thanks for taking the time to post! I'll pass along the feedback. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 31 of 41

Thanks for the update, Sean.  Good to know even if it's unfortunate.

Message 32 of 41
Super Seller

For training,  we still just let them watch a few live transactions and then personally coach them through it.  Now that we are set up I don't usually miss the demo/test mode although when I was new it would have been great.

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 33 of 41

This is an unbelievable flaw.  I just spent many many hours setting everything up and trying things out only to find out that I now have sales and transactions that never happened but i can't get rid of.  Also, there is no way to train any employees without generating real sales.  Your explanation about creating 1099 forms is unreasonable.  I have used MICROS POS systems in my businesses and always had the ability to train and fix errors.  Since when is it a sales system creators priority to design a system with the IRS as the priority over the actual buyer and user of the system?!  

Message 34 of 41
Super Seller

For training and on-boarding new employees this would be a game changer. 

1) With young employees, I could save a huge amount of time and errors.  These kids have never run a register before, but a very adept at technology.  Show them the basics and let them "play" and they would be up to speed in no time.  But as it is, I spend time teaching, then these employees spend time watching.  Then the first time "doing" is with live transactions and customers in front of them.

2) Teaching and reminding all the employees on lessor used functions like split transactions

3) Testing out work flows and how things show up. (what does the receipt look like?

4) Role playing with employees during training sessions with the employees.

The only requirement would be to have "Testing or Training Mode" on every screen and receipt to keep things from getting confused.

Message 35 of 41
Beta Member

Is there a way to test transactions without creating live transactions that need to be cancelled?  Maybe a test account?

Message 36 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hey @hooverdlh

It sounds like you're looking for Test or Training Mode. Currently, this is a Feature Request from our Sellers. 

I moved your post to a thread where other sellers have used their voice. Once there is movement, we will post a Product Update for more information. 

Thank you! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 37 of 41

I would like to add my name to the list of people anxiously awaiting this feature as well.

If a Register Emulator was available, that would be a great combination. That way we wouldn't have to tie up a production Register to do training.

I've mentioned it here as well.

Message 38 of 41

Hey Square, 98% of your Retail Customers have multiple employees, and are always hiring new Staff. Training Mode is a must, as IRS questions transcactions and missing funds. You do realize the most basic $100 cash register has Training Mode for this reason.

Message 39 of 41

Yes @Square  you definitely need a training mode. It makes it so difficult to train my new employees without a way for them to practice especially with split payments and taking egift cards. 

Message 40 of 41

im baffled that such a basic feature is not available.

Message 41 of 41